Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Grant1962  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2021 14:53:17(UTC)
Grant1962

All, CIS 59 Provision of welfare facilities during construction work states its reference legislation is CDM 2007! It was issued in 2010 and has not been updated since, subsequently CDM 2015 came into force but the document has not been amended.  Whilst it remains on the HSE website I am trying to gauge opinion as to the validity of the CIS 59?

Obviously, we have schedule 2 in the CDM 2015 and the HSG 150 as the lead guidance.

The reason I ask is that I sometimes get a little fed up with organisations attempting provide the bare minimum welfare facilities on the so called transient sites!

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2021 17:08:18(UTC)
peter gotch

Grant

It's the best available guidance and doesn't say much that wasn't said several decades ago.

Good contractors have done more during those decades; others have decided not to treat their workforce with common courtesy.

Way back in, I think, 1998, we were looking for a new HSE Adviser. After a while one of our engineers (who should have known better with his second question) asked me whether we had found one.

I said "yes". "What's his name?"

"Her name is Ann, and her name is Elizabeth". [Not their real names!!]

"But they will have to go onto construction sites?"

"Yes, what's the problem?"

"Well sometimes the welfare conditions are bog standard, if you will excuse the expression."

"Well, they shouldn't be and perhaps if they see a woman inspecting them, they might be even more embarrassed than they should be anyway. No excuses in the late 20th Century."

P

firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2021 15:17:19(UTC)
firesafety101

There are so many companies out there hiring out welfare cabins that there is no excuse for not having all required facilities on any site.  Just search the web and you will see them providing more than the basic.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2021 20:34:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

and which is the easiest cost to remove after a contract has been won and someone needs to make profit?

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2021 20:34:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

and which is the easiest cost to remove after a contract has been won and someone needs to make profit?