Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mingkan0705  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2021 17:31:42(UTC)
mingkan0705

I am coming from Hong Kong and currently a TechIOSH, as my certificate in Hong Kong was recognized. 

I have a thought to study a NEBOSH diploma, but recently I found there are 2 types of diploma.

1. NEBOSH National diploma

2. National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals

Is the second one replacing the first one?

As I am still finding a job, is it possible to study a diploma, completing the assignment without a full time Health and Safety job?

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2021 17:51:13(UTC)
peter gotch

mingkan

If you are looking to progress up the IOSH ladder, then you are looking for a Level 6 qualification by reference to the European Qualifications Framework.

Not sure what No 2 on your list is, but you could get a Level 6 NEBOSH Diploma without being in a job. There are other options that you could choose that could also be achieved outside the work environment.

You say you are "coming from" HK, so might be there or settling elsewhere eg. in the UK where one of the options would be an NCRQ Diploma. Another would be a degree or diploma via distance learning.

In order to progress up the IOSH ladder in its current form, or when proposed changes are implemented you would also need to demonstrate the required extent of full time equivalent experience of providing health and safety professional advice etc.

Good luck, Peter

mingkan0705  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2021 20:44:31(UTC)
mingkan0705

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

mingkan

If you are looking to progress up the IOSH ladder, then you are looking for a Level 6 qualification by reference to the European Qualifications Framework.

Not sure what No 2 on your list is, but you could get a Level 6 NEBOSH Diploma without being in a job. There are other options that you could choose that could also be achieved outside the work environment.

You say you are "coming from" HK, so might be there or settling elsewhere eg. in the UK where one of the options would be an NCRQ Diploma. Another would be a degree or diploma via distance learning.

In order to progress up the IOSH ladder in its current form, or when proposed changes are implemented you would also need to demonstrate the required extent of full time equivalent experience of providing health and safety professional advice etc.

Good luck, Peter

Thank you, Peter. I would like to settle down in UK for long term, so I consider to study the diploma.

The second one seems to be a new specification from July 2020. I found the information from this website.

https://www.nebosh.org.uk/qualifications/national-diploma-for-safety-and-health-management-professionals/

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2021 12:45:07(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi mingkan

This replacement NEBOSH Diploma would appear to require someone to have a workplace to do some of the work in.

ND1 – Know – workplace health and safety principles

Assignment - workplace-based tasks together with simulations and reflective statements and a research topic

...whereas ND2 and ND3 are scenario based assignments.

Suggest you might want to seek clarification from NEBOSH. I assume that you could "borrow" a workplace if you could find one willing to allow you in to do some work which might be beneficial to them.

Good to see that the split between ND2 and ND3 means that as much focus is given to occupational health as to safety risks.

P

mingkan0705  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2021 19:16:13(UTC)
mingkan0705

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Hi mingkan

This replacement NEBOSH Diploma would appear to require someone to have a workplace to do some of the work in.

ND1 – Know – workplace health and safety principles

Assignment - workplace-based tasks together with simulations and reflective statements and a research topic

...whereas ND2 and ND3 are scenario based assignments.

Suggest you might want to seek clarification from NEBOSH. I assume that you could "borrow" a workplace if you could find one willing to allow you in to do some work which might be beneficial to them.

Good to see that the split between ND2 and ND3 means that as much focus is given to occupational health as to safety risks.

P

Thank you. If a workplace is needed, it seems difficult to complete the assignment.

I am asking the study partner if a full-time job is needed in order to complete the job.

Although I have TechIOSH membership, I don't know it would be worth if I study NEBOSH certificate first.