Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chizzyhse  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2021 08:37:26(UTC)
Chizzyhse

Greetings to you all,i will please need help on the following.....

• step by step safe procedures in a syringe manufacturing company.
  • what one should focus on to improve health and safety in such setting.
  • Best safety measures and PPE for syringe factory 

I look forward to getting your professional guidiance.

Thanks.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2021 09:01:30(UTC)
A Kurdziel

If you want actual professional assistance you should be thinking abut paying someone to come over and provide it, not expecting people to deliver something as extensive a full H&S management system for nothing.

Chizzyhse  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2021 09:27:30(UTC)
Chizzyhse

I would have loved that but i already have superiors who have already developed a rubbost H & S Management system.

I just want to contribute on my own to the development of H & S in my section.

Is anything wrong with that.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2021 09:47:45(UTC)
Kate

Nothing is wrong with that.

What is your position in the business?  Is this part of your job function, or something you are trying to get involved in?

What is the reason behind wanting to contribute - is it because you have concerns, or because you want to develop your career, for example?

Chizzyhse  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2021 09:57:30(UTC)
Chizzyhse

I am under HSE department

and i also have zeal to develop myself professionally.

Kate  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:07:05(UTC)
Kate

OK so that is clearer now.

It sounds as if you would benefit from having a mentor to help you with your development.  This could be someone inside your organisation, or if you are a member of IOSH you can use IOSH's mentoring service.

A good way to use this forum is to pose specific scenarios or dilemmas.  The original post is just too broad to tackle.

Where in the world are you?  That may affect the relevance of any useful documents we might be able to point you to.

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:44:30(UTC)
peter gotch

Kate, I know that the user profiles can look different to the readers, but my view says that Chizzy is in Lagos.

Chizzy - Kate's advice is good. Look for one or mentors whether officially or unofficially and use these Forums as a sounding board, but with more targeted QQ. What you have asked is much too broad for you to expect an informed position.

Good luck, Peter 

Chizzyhse  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:45:43(UTC)
Chizzyhse

Thank you Kate fot your quick response, my apologies for the message that was initially not properly explained.

Well, i am chatting from West Africa (Nigeria precisily).

I am not a member of IOSH yet, this is due to some factors. But i a still willing to accept anyone who will be willing to mentor me in HSE professional career.

Chizzyhse  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2021 10:49:22(UTC)
Chizzyhse

Thank you Peter, i appreciate your concern, be informed that i have some professionals who are also mentoring me. But i need more knowlegde, i want to be part of international HSE communities where i can learn more. Even though i have some limitations to becoming full member of any of these bodies, that's why i have to utilise this opportunity of this forum to connect and learn.

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2021 15:13:33(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chizzy - if you decide to join a health and safety professional body, there will be entry criteria for various grades of membership, generally a mix of academic qualification(s) and experience.

So for IOSH the rules are supposed to be changing but under both the current rules and those proposed the key academic components of that mix are at Levels 3 and 6 of the European Qualifications Framework ('EQF') or whatever international qualifications might be deemed comparable to Level 3 or 6 EQF.

Lots of discussion about those qualifications on the Study Support Forum.

Good luck, Peter

Chizzyhse  
#11 Posted : 16 July 2021 15:19:12(UTC)
Chizzyhse

Hi Peter,

I have level 3 in HSE and i will appreciate if you can be kind enough to guild me through this and how to go about it.

chris42  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2021 16:05:07(UTC)
chris42

Quite a lot of us are generalists in H&S, and if at the start of your career in H&S I suspect that is where you will be and may even stay. Therefore, in your opening post you ask us to give you a complete set of safe working procedures from process start to process end. However, the best way of learning is to do this for yourself, or at least review what you currently have, the same as we would have to.

The process of making syringes, starts with raw material being delivered to the company, and ends with loading up and shipping out the finished product. However, this can be broken down into its various stages, even elements of a production line. Pick one of them and go look at what is done, talk to operatives if you can. Look to see where the hazards are and what controls are in place and if there is a significant risk remaining. Is there a better way to do it? You must already be familiar with Risk Assessment, so go do it, it is the best way of learning, and you may spot something others have not. Once you have reviewed one area, move on to the next. The controls as decided by your assessment will form safe working procedures for operatives and management.

If any of us had what you are looking for and we supplied you with it, you read it, but you would not learn but just accept it.

This site is good for more specific issues as there are some helpful people. So, if there is an element of your production that you are concerned is not controlled as well as could be then ask on here about the specific task, giving detail of what happens and what your concern is and current controls. People will generally try and help, or at least give you food for thought. If nothing else you may get someone offer to review your Risk assessment.

I admit I normally hate it when people respond to others with, go do a risk assessment, which is obviously what they are trying to do normally, but in this instance, I think it will help you. Once you have assessed your entire production facility one part at a time then you could go to another factory making something else and do it again, and again.

It is no go me saying that if people handle the finished syringe there is a risk of a needle stick injury, so puncture resistant gloves would be needed as that will be obvious to you.

Not sure if this helps at all but good luck with your development.

Chris