Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sophiex3s  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2021 12:24:37(UTC)
Sophiex3s

Hi there, great forum and apologies for asking a question so quickly, but am a bit worried. On friday last week the flat next to mine was fumigated at approximately 1.30pm. I went home for lunch and sat down in the lounge at this time. All of a sudden my eyes started watering, inside my nose was very itchy and throat was also itchy. I thought it was a sudden attack of hayfever, but swiftly came to the conclusion it was the pest control people next door, which I had seen upon entering my flat. I quickly ran out of my flat where I then saw 2 pest control people in white boiler suits and full face mask taping up next door's door. Scary! I was coughing and spluttering. For 2 days after the inside of my nose was very sore. Anyway, I called the pest control people and they said it was nothing to worry about. I  said to them that they need to mention that they are doing pest control Fumigation for others safety. Now can anyone here who can help me or guaide me that its alright or I have to go for treatment. 

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2021 12:51:56(UTC)
CptBeaky

I doubt anybody would be qualified here to give medical advice without full knowledge of what you have been exposed to. For example we don't even know what species the pest targeted was, there is a world of difference between insecticides and rodenticides.

Assuming it was insecticide (which the fogging suggests it was) then even if the substance were "safe" you could still suffer an allergic reaction to it, or been exposed to a level considered to be irritating.

The only advice I would give is, if in doubt, seek proper medical advice. Also get in contact with the pest control company and request the manufacturers safety data sheet, so you can be better educated to the risk you have been exposed to.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
peter gotch on 11/10/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2021 13:04:13(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What has the landlord said about this? I am assuming that they commissioned this work and as such they are responsible for informing the tenants about what’s happening and reassuring them that everything is safe and done in accordance with the specific guidelines from the HSE : https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg251.pdf

it can be very distressing to suffer these sort of symptoms, but different people react to substances in different ways. I would suggest that they monitor for leaks of fumigant in adjacent flats. You can’t  assume that normal walls are impervious to fumigants.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 11/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2021 15:21:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported commercial hyperlink

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 12/10/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 12/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2021 15:21:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported commercial hyperlink

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 12/10/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 12/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2021 10:50:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported for distributing the commercial hyperlink

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2021 10:50:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported for distributing the commercial hyperlink