Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iluvmywife  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2021 19:59:49(UTC)
iluvmywife

Hi all,

I have serached this forum and a couple of other sites regarding evacuation times. There seems to be a little flexibility on the actual time depending on building structure, number of occupants etc but the times are still sitting aroiud 2.5, 3 minutes (ish)

The current assessment at my factory has a target time of 2.5 minutes but unfortunately, it takes 5 minutes to walk from the furthest part of the factory, to the assembly point. If I include the time to get out the factory first we are looking at about 5.5 - 6 minutes.

My question is, is the target evacuation time, to a safe area (out side the building) or to the assembly point? the added problem would be that the role call would not be conducted until everyone is at the assembly point so how would we know the full evacuation was conducted in the target time? but waiting for everyone to get to the assembly point seems to long?

Thanks in advance

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2021 20:52:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you have a long time for everyone to reach a single assembly point then logic dictates you divide the business in to however many individual points can be reached in "x" minutes - assign a co-ordinator at each to enact a local roll call and then relay that information to a central co-ordinator for the whole business.

Alternativley you accept the "standard" evacuation to a single assembly point is...... in reality six minutes is not that long especially when you make provision for the less able bodied.

Thing is everyone is getting to the assembly point so who/why was a potentially unrealistic target set?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
iluvmywife on 18/10/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/10/2021(UTC), iluvmywife on 18/10/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/10/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2021 20:52:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you have a long time for everyone to reach a single assembly point then logic dictates you divide the business in to however many individual points can be reached in "x" minutes - assign a co-ordinator at each to enact a local roll call and then relay that information to a central co-ordinator for the whole business.

Alternativley you accept the "standard" evacuation to a single assembly point is...... in reality six minutes is not that long especially when you make provision for the less able bodied.

Thing is everyone is getting to the assembly point so who/why was a potentially unrealistic target set?

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
iluvmywife on 18/10/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/10/2021(UTC), iluvmywife on 18/10/2021(UTC), A Kurdziel on 18/10/2021(UTC)
iluvmywife  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2021 05:36:10(UTC)
iluvmywife

Thanks Roundtuit, To be fair, I've only been at my current role a short period of time and these things were already in place. I just question some of them. Cheers, 👍
Messey  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2021 07:35:50(UTC)
Messey

The time it takes to leave a building is often an important factor, but I am not sure that it's the number one aim of a fire drillfor me. The time it takes to get to an assembly point or account for staff are also important, but again, it is not possible to have a hard and fast rule in terms of timings

I look after a building in a city centre with an occupancy of 4,600 people over 15 floors. It uses a phased evacuation system where those at risk are moved first whilst others are held in the building for a short time. This allows staff to enter the numerous staircases sequentially as a simultaneous flooding of the stairs would lead to overcrowding and queues.  It is possible that staff will not begin to evacuate for some time, in some circumstances well over 5 mins after the fire is discovered. So we do not record the time of the last person out.

The building has no assembly point as there is no space suitable to corral 4,600 persons for a roll call, so fire wardens sweep pre defined areas & report their findings to a rendevous point. With the nearest fire satation 50m away and others withing 8 mins, we will not be able to confirm if everyone is accounted for until some time after the fire service have arrived. Indeed, some staff will just be starting to evacuate as fire engines arrive

However we do monitor is congestion in escape routes, staff understanding of procedures, the evacuee flow inside and outside the building, use of manual override on locked doors, the fire wardens 'sweep' and reporting - and the systems in place to evacuate those with mobility issues. We also use roleplayers to act as the fire officers arriving to check on arrival tactics and communication between our response teams and the 999 services

With limited numbers of observers, we encourage staff to feedback what they experienced and this is ver important. Not only do we make changes from information received by feedback, we also get a flavour of staff understanding of our evacuation procedures and can tweak comms and training to iron out bumps

The point of this post is to say its really not important to fixate on timings. Instead, the use of observers, cctv and staff feedback can allow you to get a holistic overview of your plans and how well they worked (or didnt!). 

thanks 4 users thanked Messey for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/10/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 18/10/2021(UTC), iluvmywife on 18/10/2021(UTC), Anthony.getgood@ipo.gov.uk on 19/10/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2021 10:48:27(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Having a minimum evacuation time for each building is useful but it must be practical. If you physically can’t get everybody out of a  building in under 10 minutes, then there is no point setting 5 minutes as the target no matter how good that looks. If 10 minutes is what it takes then you have to see what that actually means. If the building was made entirely out of  tissue paper that was regularly douse in doused in petrol even 30 seconds is too long; on the other hand you might be able to establish that the building is well compartmentalised, and you might have  opportunity for a phased evacuation or divide the building into separate zones. You would only evacuate one zone with the rest of the building on standby. It depends on how the building is built and what it is used for. That should decide the evacuation strategy including maximum permitted evac times , not some arbitrary number.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
iluvmywife on 18/10/2021(UTC), Anthony.getgood@ipo.gov.uk on 19/10/2021(UTC)
firesafety101  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2021 18:05:34(UTC)
firesafety101

I am surprised the use of mobile phones and radios has not been mentioned.  They would be useful to report areas evacuated or potential issues arising at certain locations.

Fire Wardens and supervisiory staff coiud report to the Assembly Point by calling or texting information about employees making their way to the Assembly point and/or fire locations etc.

I think radios and phones will be already in use as above but not mentioned yet.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2021 08:31:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

We had a fire drill last week and comms was based on mobile phones; it could have been better. What we needed was a walkie-talkie system with an ‘F’ for fire channel on it, so you can monitor what is going and in particular when the  alarm is being turned off. At point due to series of miscommunications we had 100’s of people standing in the drizzle while we tried to get the fire alarm silenced. Left hand right hand not knowing etc but that’s one of the reasons to do a fire drill: to test the comms.

Edited by user 20 October 2021 11:38:04(UTC)  | Reason: missing w rds

firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2021 12:05:20(UTC)
firesafety101

Great drill with necessary improvements.  I think you could do with a list of Fire warden/Supervisors or whatever phone numbers and a designated person at the assembly point who calls them one by one for information.  Everyone else instructed not to call the assemble point unless an emergency situation breaks out.

That is just a suggestion from me, you may come up with a better plan.