Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gibski  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2021 09:36:48(UTC)
Gibski

I am aware that wearing anything under hard hats can affect the protection it may offer. We ensure staff don't wear hoodies under hard hats, and we provide compatible hat liners. 

We do however carry out asbestos removal work, and for this our staff must wear disposable hooded coveralls and RPE. Sometimes the risk assessment identifies that they need to wear hard hats, but there is no guidance on the HSE website or any other documents/ reference material I can find which says whether this is 'allowed' (and from our staff's point of view, saying you can wear a coverall hood, but not other hoods/ hats under safety helmets may appear contradictory).

The obvious issues which occur to me are that the hat could slip or not fit so well when being worn on top of a disposable coverall hood. Due to RPE being worn, chin straps won't be an option, but surely it is better to wear a hat to protect the head, which may slip/ fall off,  than not?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2021 09:56:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Select RPE that works in combination with a hard hat chin strap

Select a hard hat whose chin strap works in combination with RPE

Use a system combining the "hood/helmet/RPE" in a single solution

Use a hard hat with a twist ratchet adjustment that can be secured after donning

Use disposable hoods that fit over the hard hat / RPE

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2021 09:56:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Select RPE that works in combination with a hard hat chin strap

Select a hard hat whose chin strap works in combination with RPE

Use a system combining the "hood/helmet/RPE" in a single solution

Use a hard hat with a twist ratchet adjustment that can be secured after donning

Use disposable hoods that fit over the hard hat / RPE

achrn  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2021 10:10:49(UTC)
achrn

I have regulalrly worn disposable overalls (with hood) under hard-hats.  Not due to asbestos work - more normally sewage.

I think you can say there's a clear difference between a disposable coverall (typically Tyvek or equivalent, i.e. papery) and a 'hoody' which is a thicker fleece material or a wooly hat.  I don't think a paper coverall affects fit of hardhat (though I doubt there's been any scientific testing) - there's more variation in my head between haircuts than there is due to whether I'm wearing a paper coverall hood.

I just wouldn't stress about it - it has never come up as an issue in my experience, and if it does just fall back on:

1: It's not a hat.

2: It's (literally) paper thin.

3: The risk asssesment says this is the optimum balance (i.e. the very real need not to conduct asbestos fibres away in either clothing or hair overides the slim possibility that it affects the performance of the hardhat).

4: If your hard-hat falls off more often, put it back on more often (but I don't believbe it will - mine doesn't).

Gibski  
#5 Posted : 01 November 2021 10:49:01(UTC)
Gibski

Thank you for your thoughts

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2021 16:16:13(UTC)
peter gotch

Gibski - the standard helmet (not an advanced helmet with inbuilt absorptive material) relies on an air gap between harness and head to protect against penetration by an object falling from above.

Putting in a thin layer of material is not going to make any difference. If anything that thin layer is better than air.

It might affect the fit. If so, go for a slightly more expensive ratchet option.

Edited by user 01 November 2021 16:16:47(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

SteveL  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2021 16:58:38(UTC)
SteveL

When undertaking asbestos removal the hood is used to prevent fibres from entering and contaminating  under clothes and skin. If you are going to wear a hard hat under the hood then it opens the face of the hood allowing fibres to enter. If you require a hard hat when undertaking asbestos removal it shoud be worn outside, secured with ratchet fitting, when completed decontaminated and stored seperatly within sealed bags for reuse.