Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chas  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2021 19:08:23(UTC)
chas

I must admit I am no expert welder but........in discussions amongst Management it has been said that our female welders should be given extra/enhanced body protection to protect them from the effects of EMF/radiation and such when welding. All types of welding are undertaken here and whilst full protection, LEV and PPE etc is given, this is the first time this particular subject of the need for extra precautions for some has cropped up. Needless to say I have now been tasked with finding out more and hence the question on this forum. If you know of any specific industry guidance or other authoritative advice that I could tap into I would welcome it. Thanks in advance.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2021 20:26:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Such comment is wholly contrary to UK employment legislation with welding particpants exposed to a risk that is not gender exclusive.

Any significant risk needs controlling for all employees so your first task is to determine the actual risk.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/11/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 23/11/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 16/11/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 23/11/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2021 20:26:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Such comment is wholly contrary to UK employment legislation with welding particpants exposed to a risk that is not gender exclusive.

Any significant risk needs controlling for all employees so your first task is to determine the actual risk.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/11/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 23/11/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 16/11/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 23/11/2021(UTC)
stevedm  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2021 22:10:57(UTC)
stevedm

EMF has a risk of cancer in both men and women,...there is hightened instances of breast cancer since they tend to wrap the cable over thier shoulder...but the same can be true for men...having PPE fit the person and not the other way around is how we should operate but we can all find cases where the opposite is true in practice...in general both males and females are vulnerable to a range of cancers from EMF...I would go back look at your welding group and thier exposure and protect them accordingly wether they are of male or female biology...

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/11/2021(UTC)