Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MEden380  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2021 11:02:48(UTC)
MEden380

To All H&S professionals out there, who work extremely hard to keep the work force safe.

Is it me or am I begining to notice a backwards trend towards H&S in general. Not the larger companies but in the smaller  companies, self employed( and not just in construction).

Reading the forum there are issues around fire safety, asbestos, HAV. And that is just on Our forum. There just seems to be "I don't care"  attitude to employees as much as there used to be. Or am I just becoming an old sinic ?

Kate  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2021 11:07:13(UTC)
Kate

No, I think it's always been like that.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/11/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2021 14:41:50(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi MEden

As Kate says it has always been like that.

In the main the larger organisations have better standards and sometimes legislators have to catch up with best practice.

Not just in the UK, the evidence indicates falling injury rates with a continuing decline over several decades, BUT with a plateauing of rates of "SIFs" (Serious Injuries and Fatalities) in the last 10-20 years - in the UK that has coincided with a sharp cut in resources in the HSE (and its Northern Ireland equivalent), but whether there is a correlation is difficult to guess.

What the statistics are much less clear about is whether increased attention to occupational health risks is having much of a positive impact. Cases of death from exposure to asbestos have yet to peak and with improved diagnosis cases of other long term occupational illnesses can be expected to increase for a long time to come.

P

stevedm  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2021 09:43:45(UTC)
stevedm

It has and always it seems will be until we fully address culture...I also look at the injury rates a bit like the kill and serious injury stats for cars..protection technology and medical response has gotten better...driver behaviour remains the same...the reduction in the KSI figure is from advances in technology and medical front line skills not the change in driver behaviour

tommywpace  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2021 10:21:14(UTC)
tommywpace

As a prinicipal contractor, how important is it that our project managers are BLACK CSCS card holders? I know CSCS isnt a legislation, and like all things in construction its about having the CORRECT AND COMPETANT people undertaking any task. Would not having a BLACK CSCS card go against you in a court of law? Or if you could provide proof of experience and knowledge you would be ok?

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2021 10:34:26(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Don’t know the answer to that but I can ask another question: “Are CSCS evidence of actual competence or just proof that you have joined a particular scheme”? Answers on a post card…

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
aud on 16/11/2021(UTC)
tommywpace  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2021 10:43:52(UTC)
tommywpace

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Don’t know the answer to that but I can ask another question: “Are CSCS evidence of actual competence or just proof that you have joined a particular scheme”? Answers on a post card…

Ive met plenty of candidates that would prove the competenace isnt a requirement for CSCS....

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2021 13:32:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: tommywpace Go to Quoted Post
how important is it that our project managers are BLACK CSCS card holders?

Quite simple really construction have been sold a scheme of supposed competence which if you want to work in construction you follow the schemers rules.

The card is meant to be about continuing professional development and not just an H&S test.

Just like Build UK specified colour coding of hard hats nothing in legislation supporting the idea one way or another.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2021 13:32:06(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: tommywpace Go to Quoted Post
how important is it that our project managers are BLACK CSCS card holders?

Quite simple really construction have been sold a scheme of supposed competence which if you want to work in construction you follow the schemers rules.

The card is meant to be about continuing professional development and not just an H&S test.

Just like Build UK specified colour coding of hard hats nothing in legislation supporting the idea one way or another.

stevedm  
#10 Posted : 17 November 2021 08:56:59(UTC)
stevedm

it is just the same as compliance with a code of practice...it may not be law, so long as you can demonstrate that you comply with the intent of the applicable legislation...and in doing so most take the easy route and do CSCS for all its faults...it is a bit like running your company IT on Linux instead of windows - one is free and more sercure and flexible...the other is expensive and doesn't do everything you want but most have it...

stevedm  
#11 Posted : 17 November 2021 09:01:01(UTC)
stevedm

I forgot to add at school we called it peer pressure, now that we are all 'worke' we call it dystopianism... :)