Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Herb  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2021 12:14:55(UTC)
Herb

Do others have an opinion on this as to whether bleach it's allowedin schools? Obviously COSHH applies etc and they would need to consider whether something less hazardous could be used instead but interested to know if others have come across this before. Thanks.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2021 13:49:22(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What do you mean “allowed”? If you mean, is it permitted to bring a bottle of bleach into a school the answer is “there is no law against it”. On the other hand would  I  leave an open bottle of bleach in a classroom of year ones along with suitable drinking vessels;  I would say “that’s not a good idea”. Can you use bleach in a school: the answer  to that is it depends on what you use it for. COSHH, which you mention is about managing a process that involve substances  that are hazardous  to  health.  That is what the risk assessment is about. So what  do you want to use it for and how do you intend to manage it’s use?

Edited by user 19 November 2021 16:06:07(UTC)  | Reason: missing w rds

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 19/11/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2021 16:11:13(UTC)
peter gotch

Herb - I would be surprised if there were many schools which DON'T have bleach. [There are probably some which have opted not to use bleach for reasons, some sound, some less so]

The risks are clearly marked on the bottles and in essence a school would usually be scaling up the precautions that parents should apply in the home inclusive of remembering to put on some PPE.

Connor35037  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2021 16:13:14(UTC)
Connor35037

I'm assuming you mean the use of bleach by Cleaners in schools. Our local authority promotes the use of "bleach-free" products for use in schools. Whether they are as effective is another matter...

thanks 1 user thanked Connor35037 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 19/11/2021(UTC)