Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
achrn  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2021 09:01:44(UTC)
achrn

Is this new snake-oil?

I've been emailed about a test to "Accurately evaluate your body's response to the Covid-19 Vaccine", which apparently "is used for the in vitro qualitative determination of Neutralising Antibodies concentration in human serum/plasma or blood sample".

My email filter has blocked the link to the video that shows how to do it, so I don't know if it's really advocating that I take blood samples from staff to do the test.

I won't be buying any, but curious if anyone knows if it's a real test that has validity, or complete mumbo-jumbo.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2021 09:40:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Why would you want to “Accurately evaluate your body's response to the Covid-19 Vaccine”: what useful information will it provide that enables you to manage the spread of infection?

Of it would probably be illegal to insist that employees have a blood test as this is an invasive procedure and should only be used if there is a really good reason which provides definitive useful information such as whether an employee has been exposed to some particular nasty substances.  

The test would in any case have to be specific for the antibodies that each of the different vaccines currently in use. One blood sample but how many tests?

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 15/11/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 16/11/2021(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2021 11:14:23(UTC)
craigroberts76

on a personal level it would be interesting to see what response I have had to the 3 vaccines, has my immune system created suitable antibodies or not. Would put my mind at rest a little more if I knew I had good levels of protection.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2021 13:45:18(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So what antibody titre  would reassure you that vaccines you took are working?

Sarcastic  question, i know but whatever result you get will just be a number and in practice largely meaningless.

stevedm  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2021 07:34:01(UTC)
stevedm

...if I am not mistaken there is a currrent US high profile court case about a similar claim from a testing house....  :)

craigroberts76  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2021 15:27:24(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

So what antibody titre  would reassure you that vaccines you took are working?

Sarcastic  question, i know but whatever result you get will just be a number and in practice largely meaningless.

Its a useful tool to spot if antibodies or Tcells are not responding or present. Some Auto Immune conditions cause people not to react to covid, but could be undiagnosed. The numbers would be meaningful with context from the lab, I have no idea what the numbers mean on a fasting test, but where it says "normal" or "within range" informs me.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2021 16:12:30(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Hepatitis B vaccine has been about for years and there is an established threshold for the vaccine. This is set as a 100 milli-international units per millilitre blood(mIU/ml) antibody against the anti-hepatitis B surface antigen. If after a set period of time you test at less than this threshold you will be offered a booster. If your response is less than  10 mIU/ml you are given additional boosters and if that does not work, you are labelled as a non responder and you are given special treatment if you are ever exposed to the virus. The key thing is that there is a set level and an established protocol to follow. As far as covid goes none of these things apply and  I think that the different vaccines elicit different immune responses. So all you get is a number.  

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
stevedm on 22/11/2021(UTC), HSSnail on 23/11/2021(UTC)
achrn  
#8 Posted : 23 November 2021 13:49:42(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

As far as covid goes none of these things apply and  I think that the different vaccines elicit different immune responses. So all you get is a number.  

Not even that - the blurb I was sent shows a lateal-flow type device that should prduce one or two lines in a little window.  The covering description refers to "qualitative determination of Neutralising Antibodies concentration".  I don't think you get a number from the test being advertised.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 23/11/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 23 November 2021 13:57:56(UTC)
A Kurdziel

could one of those lines be labelled 'S' for sucker?