Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Messey  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2022 08:58:05(UTC)
Messey

A £1m Fire Safety Order fine for Article 11 breaches

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/2022-news/january/bupa-ordered-to-pay-record-amount-for-fire-safety-failings-after-death-of-care-home-resident/

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
peter gotch on 07/01/2022(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2022 10:13:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When I first read this I was concerned that this was asking a bit much in the area of foreseeable risk but there is guidance from the CQC which refers to the fire risk from emollients so I suppose BUPA was caught bang to rights.    

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 07/01/2022(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2022 12:19:51(UTC)
peter gotch

As AK says at first sight this does read as something difficult to foresee, but if it is specifically covered by CQC guidance then the risk is clearly understood.

What puzzles me a little is what the ANS in BUPA Care Services (ANS) Ltd  might stand for.

It's possible that BUPA runs care homes under the names of multiple subsidiaries.

Just like housebuilders used to (and possibly still do).

To you the prospective owner of a semi, you are buying from Smith Homes, but the house is built by say Smith Homes (Blythswoodhill) Ltd, and when someone falls off a scaffold at the Blythswoodhill site, it's that company that ends up in Court not the household name.* 

When I worked for HSE this meant that the housebuilding company I was putting into court to face prosecution NEVER had a previous conviction - something that then, and now, is a factor in deciding on sentence. The Judges or whoever look at the defendant not its parent.

*OK Smith Homes might be a fictitious name! - and the Blythswoodhill that I know doesn't have the space for lots of new semis and they wouldn't get planning permission due to heritage issues.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/01/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2022 12:28:48(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

What puzzles me a little is what the ANS in BUPA Care Services (ANS) Ltd  might stand for.

It's possible that BUPA runs care homes under the names of multiple subsidiaries.

A quick look on Companies house gives 21 variations of the BUPA Care Services (something) LTD all with the same corrispondance address and those i checked even had same directors.