Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joanneb  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2022 14:56:39(UTC)
joanneb

I’m looking at introducing online safety training into my organisation and looking for suggestions or recommendations for possible suppliers. I’m wanting something with pre-populated modules (such as DSE, COSHH etc) but also has the flexibility to host bespoke modules. We’re changing a lot of processes and I want another option to use as a training / briefing aid (otherwise my advisors could quite easily become full time trainers if we have to deliver everything face to face). Thanks
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2022 16:20:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

Read the document, watch the video, click the answers (until right), click the "I have read, understood and will comply" box - the only thing missing is the "I am not a robot" choose the squares with traffic lights test.

On-line platforms tick corporate boxes for appearing to deliver education/training but fail the basic test of interaction in satisfying the individuals learning needs especially when questions arise with the content.

They tend to make assumptions about language education and computer literacy (often viewed from the level of the system writer / purchaser and rarely taking differing levels across the workforce in to consideration).

If you have a requirement for significant face to face training even if only for the initial roll-out hiring trainer(s) may be more effective and worthwhile.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2022 16:20:08(UTC)
Roundtuit

Read the document, watch the video, click the answers (until right), click the "I have read, understood and will comply" box - the only thing missing is the "I am not a robot" choose the squares with traffic lights test.

On-line platforms tick corporate boxes for appearing to deliver education/training but fail the basic test of interaction in satisfying the individuals learning needs especially when questions arise with the content.

They tend to make assumptions about language education and computer literacy (often viewed from the level of the system writer / purchaser and rarely taking differing levels across the workforce in to consideration).

If you have a requirement for significant face to face training even if only for the initial roll-out hiring trainer(s) may be more effective and worthwhile.

joanneb  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2022 17:08:44(UTC)
joanneb

Thank you for taking the time to respond. However, you’ve made some sweeping assumptions in what I’m looking for and been unnecessarily critical on the basis of a straightforward request for information without knowing about my organisation or my needs.
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2022 17:10:03(UTC)
peter gotch

Joanne - I am with Roundtuit on this.

Online training has its place but will only give you confidence that the trainees have taken in very little.

So then it comes down to whether you want evidence that lots of people have attended some training that might have communicated nothing at all (or next to nothing) or some face to face training that involves interaction and the trainer can get an idea of how effective the training is likely to have ACTUALLY been.

There are only a few training events that I have attended that stick in the memory.

ALL have been face to face in small groups.

So, perhaps 30 in the class when I did 12 hours touch typing training.

About the same for a 1 day time management course.

16 for two days on presentation skills with a one to one two hour follow up.

8 for 2.5 days on scaffold appreciation.

6 for the rest of that week on cranes appreciation - you are NEVER going to appreciate how skillful an RB22 crane operator is without trying it yourself! I thought that my out of control load was going to hit the shed where the previous course had been run until I saw the two instructors collapsing into laughter (trick of my eyesight - they were never going to site the crane such that there was risk to the shed) - after that I calmed down and got the load back under control. 

Effective training is expensive, but worth doing.

[Very coincidentally the security image is like a crawler crane - RB27]

joanneb  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2022 17:27:01(UTC)
joanneb

Thank you Peter. I appreciate your view but I was simply asking for recommendations, rather than a debate. I’m a senior safety manager of 25+ years experience in high hazard industries and so I know the downfalls, as well as the positives. I’m looking for communication options to fit the particular needs of the organisation at this time. It is, of course, not our only means of safety training, but it would provide an additional medium to support what we already have.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2022 17:35:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

On-line language is often miss-read especially when gaps are left

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2022 17:35:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

On-line language is often miss-read especially when gaps are left

Ashley Watson  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2022 10:06:59(UTC)
Ashley Watson

Hi Joanne, 

Hope you are well. 

This is something I might be able to help with depending on what you are looking for and what your requirements are.  Please can you send me an email to ashleywatson@citation.co.uk and I can discuss this further with you. 

Alternatively (if you know how, I don't).  You can contact me directly on here and we can go from there.  

Many thanks :)

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2022 10:17:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

underneath the post is a symbol "PM" - that is a Private Message - which would have saved you putting your works email in the public domain as advertisement of your employer.
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Ashley Watson on 13/01/2022(UTC), Ashley Watson on 13/01/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2022 10:17:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

underneath the post is a symbol "PM" - that is a Private Message - which would have saved you putting your works email in the public domain as advertisement of your employer.
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Ashley Watson on 13/01/2022(UTC), Ashley Watson on 13/01/2022(UTC)