Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrissedgwick88  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2022 20:05:48(UTC)
chrissedgwick88

Hi all,

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas period as we being getting stuck in to 2022.

Here's my first ask of 2022 and it comes in the form on training, specifically Environmental Awareness. I'm looking to provide a refresher for everyone within my organisation, however some of the content is dated and I want to update.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some good training material for this topic?

Kr,

Chris.

lukasz.golunski.IOSH  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2022 07:17:53(UTC)
lukasz.golunski.IOSH

I suppose the course which would be most suitable for you is:

IEMA Environmental Awareness

This course is designed to provide an entry-level but broad based understanding of the environmental field, including climatic stability, air, water, primary resources, waste recycling and linking them to business/organisational activities. It should help you understand the main issues, the basic science and understanding of environmental sustainability, and enable you to identify the issues in your workplace. (IEMA website - www.iema.net/courses-information/iema-environmental-awareness)

Hopefully, you find this useful

Regards

Lukasz

thanks 1 user thanked lukasz.golunski.IOSH for this useful post.
chrissedgwick88 on 10/02/2022(UTC)
SammyK  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2022 08:47:47(UTC)
SammyK

Morning, 

I think IEMA awareness certificate as mentioned will be a bit over kill for all staff members and costly. I've found this website when looking for training ideas good- first health and safety- if you sign up you can have access to their traning course material before committing to anything further. 

Good luck! Sammy 

thanks 1 user thanked SammyK for this useful post.
lukasz.golunski.IOSH  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2022 10:53:19(UTC)
lukasz.golunski.IOSH

Good shout Sam.

True, IEMA courses can be quite costly. Definitely, you have to take into account the number of attendees and price, but also the level of competency and knowledge you want your colleagues to achieve.

I just completed the course you mentioned and the content is fairly basic having a limited (but it might but adequate for your requirements) amount of information for beginners.

Once again thank you Sam and good luck Chris

thanks 1 user thanked lukasz.golunski.IOSH for this useful post.
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2022 13:20:21(UTC)
peter gotch

Chris - what do your people DO?

Completely different requirements for e.g. an office worker against someone working on a construction site.

....and you will probably have different people doing different things with entirely different awareness needs.

chrissedgwick88  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2022 17:16:12(UTC)
chrissedgwick88

Hi Peter,

We do have office staff but mainly, our employees work within a manufacturing facility.

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Chris - what do your people DO?

Completely different requirements for e.g. an office worker against someone working on a construction site.

....and you will probably have different people doing different things with entirely different awareness needs.

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2022 15:05:06(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris

OK, so you have people in a factory - various pollutants potentially from manufacturing activities.

Somebody or somebodies need to know about things like environmental permitting but the shop floor workers need to know the DOs and DON'Ts.

Ditto most of the office staff, though some of these will need some training in environmental aspects of e.g. your supply chain.

I think one for a training needs analysis to target specific training to specific workers depending on their jobs (or what their next jobs might be as part of a development programme).

There are of course also the global issues, but perhaps some of those could be largely dealt with via information bulletins, notice boards etc which draw on authoritative guidance rather than the fake news some of your workforce read on their social media.

P

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/01/2022(UTC), chrissedgwick88 on 10/02/2022(UTC)
chris42  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2022 16:04:28(UTC)
chris42

You can get general Environmental training, but this will not cover your specific environmental issues at your site unless you commission bespoke training. I had the same problem a few years ago and ended up just producing my own.

Your issues for the working area will be waste segregation and clean-up of any spilled substances unique to you. This includes what must not be mixed. When I looked I also could not find one that covered waste notes for whoever has to sign them ( it is a legal document so they should understand what they are signing for). Their training will need to cover both Hazardous and non-hazardous wastes and the different types of notes they must be on ( and then what should be on the note). Then there is licence checking. I really had to start at the beginning as the company didn’t even know what their SIC code was.

Nb there are a lot of waste companies that make a real hash of producing the waste notes, but the end of the day parts A to D are your responsibility on a consignment note, then having to chase them for part E which by law they should send you automatically. What fun.

I have been on a number of Environmental training courses in the past, but none covered these items as such. It may be different know but my IEMA course, covered all sorts of things including air quality and looking at lichen on trees etc to determine, packaging and its issues relating to how much is needed. It also covered a whole load of legislation. However, they are not the issues for the masses in a company. Best of luck getting people to tell the difference between a piece or cardboard and an aerosol can, when putting in the bin.

If you are able, I would suggest you produce your own, specific to what you do. Which possible looking at your request is what you are trying to do possibly. Sorry but I think it will have to be DIY.

Chris

thanks 3 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/01/2022(UTC), Kate on 14/01/2022(UTC), chrissedgwick88 on 10/02/2022(UTC)