Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zoebendle@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2022 09:23:50(UTC)
zoebendle@gmail.com

I am looking for some advice please. The manufacturing company I am working for are looking to source some vinyl roll storage racks from a supplier. When running through supplier approval process it seems there are no inspection or quality checks carried out when the product is made and also no safety checks to confirm how much weight the rack can safely hold. When ringing other suppliers of this type of apparatus this seems to be the norm. 

I am struggling to find any guidance online on whether these checks should really be done by the supplier and ultimately try and find out if there is anything we could be doing ourselves to ensure the product is safe or whether we should avoid selling on and send our customers directly to the manufacturer of the display racks?

Thanks in advance 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2022 10:07:55(UTC)
Kate

I think I would look at this from the other end.  Not what quality / product safety checks they do during or after the manufacturing process, but how they have designed quality and safety into the product.  So for example I might want to know if they have determined a safe working load for the equipment through design calculations and proved it by testing a prototype or sample in the past .  And I might want to see some form of manual or user guide or data sheet that described the correct use of the product and any in-use inspection recommendations.

If the supplier has ISO 9001 certification, then they ought to be complying with the clause on design and development of products and services and be able to prove this.  It's clause 8.3 if you want to look it up and it sets out a general process for how products should be designed (structured on design inputs and design outputs)  together with a requirement to document this.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
zoebendle@gmail.com on 14/01/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2022 11:19:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: zoebendle@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
if there is anything we could be doing ourselves to ensure the product is safe or whether we should avoid selling on and send our customers directly to the manufacturer of the display racks?

SI 2005 No 1803 The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 - your company would be considered "market supplier" https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1803/contents

For most storage racking there is no current conformity assessment (CE/UKCA) mark applicable and no supporting standards (exception is EN 1090-1 where permanent racking forms part of the building structure).

Therefore you would have to derive how your company ensures the product is safe for supply under GPSR.

I would caution against directing customers to a particular supplier as this could be construed as recommendation. Instead provide technical information (weight, length, diameter, core size) for your products so the customer can discuss requirements directly with their chosen system suppliers.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
zoebendle@gmail.com on 14/01/2022(UTC), zoebendle@gmail.com on 14/01/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2022 11:19:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: zoebendle@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
if there is anything we could be doing ourselves to ensure the product is safe or whether we should avoid selling on and send our customers directly to the manufacturer of the display racks?

SI 2005 No 1803 The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 - your company would be considered "market supplier" https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1803/contents

For most storage racking there is no current conformity assessment (CE/UKCA) mark applicable and no supporting standards (exception is EN 1090-1 where permanent racking forms part of the building structure).

Therefore you would have to derive how your company ensures the product is safe for supply under GPSR.

I would caution against directing customers to a particular supplier as this could be construed as recommendation. Instead provide technical information (weight, length, diameter, core size) for your products so the customer can discuss requirements directly with their chosen system suppliers.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
zoebendle@gmail.com on 14/01/2022(UTC), zoebendle@gmail.com on 14/01/2022(UTC)