Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2022 14:42:54(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, does anyone have knowledge of rules/regs relating to dogs being minded in purpose built facility where the dogs can be together or seperated.  There is night boarding.

I'm thinking about training requirements because dogs are dangerou creatures and they do bite.

Alan Haynes  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2022 09:11:58(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Apart from the need for the facity to be licensed by the Local Council, I'm not sure there are any other requirements.
thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 03/05/2022(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2022 09:29:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The license from the local council is to do with the nuisance(noise, smell etc.) that a boarding kennel might create. As to health and safety  you need to apply the usual health and safety laws and in particular the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations, requirements for risk assessment.  As you say, some dogs can bite they can also carry diseases and people working with animals can develop allergies. So you need to decide what  sort of dogs you want to look after: you might decide that a Great Dane is too much of a handful. You might attempt to find out the dog’s previous history: is it a biter? You might decide that you will take ANY dog that turns up but then you need to be ready to manage ANY sort of dog. There is also the issue of  liability if a dog escapes: you will need to make sure your insurance covers that.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 03/05/2022(UTC)
Alan Haynes  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2022 11:02:17(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Section four of the document below deals with staffing matters. https://www.gov.uk/gover...ce-for-local-authorities

Edited by user 03 May 2022 14:55:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 04/05/2022(UTC)
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2022 12:31:57(UTC)
firesafety101

Alan, that is really useful.

Many thanks.

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 06 May 2022 07:27:24(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

The license from the local council is to do with the nuisance(noise, smell etc.) that a boarding kennel might create. 

Sorry A Kurdziel while i usualy agree with much of what you post this is inacurate.

In a previous life, I inspected and licensed such establishments as well as dealing with noise nuisance, and the two sets of legislation were mutually exclusive. I remember visiting one proposed premises where a lady wanted to construct some kennels in her back garden. I advised her that if she could comply with the requirements of the Animal Boarding Act 1963, i would be duty-bound to grant the license - but I thought I would be back six months later to prosecute her for noise nuisance! You could not even refuse a license even if you knew they had not got planning permission for the establishment. I once had to grant a license for a chap to keep a crocodile in his garage as a pet (why would you want to do that?) because he showed he could comply with the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. Who says British law is an Ass?

Back then, there was a whole raft of legislation specific to different types of premises but I think most of them have now been amalgamated under Animal Welfare Act 2006 (legislation.gov.uk)

Fire safety, you may be able to find the answers you need in there – or if you have a specific site you have questions about, try the local authority where the site sits. It is usually the Environmental Health Team or the Licencing Team that issues these depending on how the authority is structured – but I have know Trading Stanards do it as well.

thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/05/2022(UTC), firesafety101 on 06/05/2022(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2022 08:19:56(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Brain is right!

I looked up the Animal Boarding Act 1963 and it is entirely to do with animal welfare . Nothing abut nuisance and  nothing about preventing the animals from escaping.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
HSSnail on 06/05/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 06 May 2022 08:27:18(UTC)
HSSnail

Thanks A - always nice to recieve confermation from a respected fellow professional - As i say i think the 63 act is gone - it was week and wolly anyway - 1st cattery i every inspected was still keeping your family cat in rabbit hutch while you flew away for your two weeks in the sun! Guidance on what is acceptable has changed over the years and i belive the animal welfare act is far more prescriptive - but as i say not as familure with that one. I have helped licencing collegues look at the H&S aspects of zoos etc but not the welfare requirements - and i have not been an ispector for 5 years so there have proberbly been even more changes since then.

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 06 May 2022 10:09:22(UTC)
peter gotch

Love the reference to "the law is an Ass"!

Are asses mentioned in the current Animal Welfare Act 2006?

P

HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 06 May 2022 11:51:58(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Love the reference to "the law is an Ass"!

Are asses mentioned in the current Animal Welfare Act 2006?

P

Not sure but they were on the Dangerouse Wild Animal Act the domestic breeds are exempt but if you wanted to keep the Indian Wild Ass ( Equus hemionus khur ) you used to need a licence!

Edited by user 06 May 2022 11:52:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/05/2022(UTC)
firesafety101  
#11 Posted : 06 May 2022 16:04:54(UTC)
firesafety101

Thanks everyone, I am more interested in employee welfare, training, PPE, lone working on a 12 hour night shift etc.