Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevedm  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2022 14:15:39(UTC)
stevedm

I know what the lights mean but I am just trying to find a refernce and search has defeated me ...either industry or legislative anyone?

• Green flashing lights: seatbelt engaged
  • Blue/white flashing lights: plant in motion (mostly for larger plant like cranes where it's not necessarily immediately obvious they're moving)
  • Purple flashing: slew restrictions active (electronic controls to limit the movement of machine e.g to stop it swinging out into a live lane)
  • Blue/green/red/purple static: exclusions zones for ops for us 5m
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2022 14:32:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Mostly driven by contractors e.g. this article in CCS about the 5+2 Blue light exclusion zone by Tarmac

https://ccsbestpractice.org.uk/entries/blue-light-exclusion-zone-initiative/

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 11/05/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 11/05/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2022 14:32:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Mostly driven by contractors e.g. this article in CCS about the 5+2 Blue light exclusion zone by Tarmac

https://ccsbestpractice.org.uk/entries/blue-light-exclusion-zone-initiative/

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 11/05/2022(UTC), HSSnail on 11/05/2022(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2022 14:38:27(UTC)
HSSnail

Never even crossed my mind before - every day is a learning day.

Is it linked to the The Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations 1996? This talks about illuminted signs (does not mention flashing beacons as such). The schedule mention specific colours needed on page 35 of the guidance  so Red is for Prohibition sign,   Danger alarm, or  Fire-fighting equipment intended as an instruction for Dangerous behaviour,  Stop, shutdown, emergency cut out devices, and Evacuate Identification and location. Sorry its in a table in the guidance which makes more sence than me typing it out. 

No mention of purple

Sorry forgot link Safety signs and signals. The Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations 1996. Guidance on Regulations L64 (hse.gov.uk) and i must have been typing at same time. 

Edited by user 11 May 2022 14:40:34(UTC)  | Reason: added link

Pirellipete  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2022 15:20:53(UTC)
Pirellipete

I don't think all of the lights are legislated, and the document referenced above, (SSR), doesn't mention anything about vehicle mounted lights,  ie the Green flashing/Seatbelt engaged seems to have been adopted by many contrators, but, and I stand to be corrected, isn't a legal requirement.  Some plant hire company's are still providing plant without them, unless specifically asked for

The flashing amber is a requirement on public access areas/highway, I believe, to indicate a slow moving vehicle,

Anti-Collision lights on cranes, (normally fixed red continuous), are a requirement,

The 5+2 'Blue Angel', type  (some of them are red as well), is again, something that has been adopted as good practice,  we had them in a food packaging warehouse operation where multiple FLT's were whizzing around and the cacophony of reversing alarms negated their efficiency, so we had to look at other options.

Some sites have decided that four-way flashing hazard lights must be switched on, but this is a local thing and not legislated

Edited by user 11 May 2022 15:22:39(UTC)  | Reason: a few words added

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2022 16:14:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Pirellipete Go to Quoted Post
The flashing amber is a requirement on public access areas/highway, I believe, to indicate a slow moving vehicle

On road maintenance vehicles & plant the amber lights fall under what is termed "Chapter 8 requirements" referencing the Traffic Signs Manual https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/traffic-signs-manual

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2022 16:14:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Pirellipete Go to Quoted Post
The flashing amber is a requirement on public access areas/highway, I believe, to indicate a slow moving vehicle

On road maintenance vehicles & plant the amber lights fall under what is termed "Chapter 8 requirements" referencing the Traffic Signs Manual https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/traffic-signs-manual

stevedm  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2022 17:35:49(UTC)
stevedm

thanks guys...just confirmed my thoughts ...vehicles on the public highway slow moving orange beacon...and raodworks fall under the traffic signs manual Section 8...

All guidance and best practice part from the bit on the road...cheers