Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nic168  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2021 07:14:55(UTC)
nic168

As I am unemployed at presnt I am helping out in the community with a little "light  safety stuff". I persuaded our local village hall committe to have an independant Fire Risk assessment done .  Quite a lot of points raised but a major concern  are the exit routes from the snooker room which is via a small seperate lobby, connecting door to the main hall is kept locked.

This facility is run as a seperate fiefdom to the main building,  there are is a definitle lack of communication and co-operation.  My concern relates to the emergency evacuation from this large, dingy room,which is via an internal lobby  with a thin plywood door with bolts leading to an exit door.  The recommendation is fitting finger turn locks tthe door, replacinging the other inner door to a fire retardant one  that allows access / egress  from the main hall. Lighting upgraded and smoke detectors to be reviewed and checked for suitability. The opinion of the committe is that any attempt to do any of this this will be resisted and if measures are put in place they will be disabled.

If this was a workplace it would be a case of interefearing with items provided for the safety of others etc, but does this apply to Commnuity Centres etc?

Any Ideas on how to get all parties engaged with this or even recognise that there is a problem would be appreciated.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2021 07:32:34(UTC)
Kate

I don't understand either how or why these measures would be disabled.  What do they have in mind?  And what do they think the problem is?

Messey  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2021 15:41:03(UTC)
Messey

Fire safety legislation does apply to community centres and places that are not 'workplaces' such as voluntary sector run buildings.

If in England or Wales, Article 22 make it a requirement for more than one Responsible Person to 'coopertae and Coordinate'. (ie communicate). I would point this out and walk away.

For goodness sake be careful if unemployed in relation to PI insurance. It could come back and bite you on the bottom

Its a bit tricky to imagine the building. Is the bolted door an alternative escape route in addition to the main way in to the snooker room, or is it the only entrance/exit? 

I am a bit concerned that a 'finger turn' lock is recommended to a place of assembly. I rarely suggest thumturns are used in this context as some find these door furinture tricky to operate - why not a lever handle inside and a flush door externally?

nic168  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2021 17:47:25(UTC)
nic168

Hi Kate, the recomendations for the area in question include changing the current locks to ones that are BS EN 179 compliant. The response was that the club would just take then out and replace them as they want o control access. I believe they lock the door when they are inside. Fire extinguisher is used as a prop- wall mounts wont be used or removed. There are a couple of other things as well. Messy- I insisted that the comottee use an accredited Fire risk assessor. The Thumb locks were suggested by the Risk assessor as a solution that might be acceptable. Both the external main door to this area and the connecting door are kept locked an d bolted
O'Donnell54548  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2021 19:25:50(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: Messey Go to Quoted Post

Fire safety legislation does apply to community centres and places that are not 'workplaces' such as voluntary sector run buildings.

If in England or Wales, Article 22 make it a requirement for more than one Responsible Person to 'coopertae and Coordinate'. (ie communicate). I would point this out and walk away.

For goodness sake be careful if unemployed in relation to PI insurance. It could come back and bite you on the bottom

Its a bit tricky to imagine the building. Is the bolted door an alternative escape route in addition to the main way in to the snooker room, or is it the only entrance/exit? 

I am a bit concerned that a 'finger turn' lock is recommended to a place of assembly. I rarely suggest thumturns are used in this context as some find these door furinture tricky to operate - why not a lever handle inside and a flush door externally?

Since when were community centres exempt from H&S and Fire Legslation?

RVThompson  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2022 13:48:40(UTC)
RVThompson

Reported.

thanks 3 users thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 13/05/2022(UTC), Roundtuit on 13/05/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 13/05/2022(UTC)