Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andrewjb1  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2022 11:51:32(UTC)
andrewjb1

Hi

Could someone help me with a second opnion, im working out the occupancy for a large sports hall to be used as an assembly area with people seated in rows, i have no questions about the space and gangways as its sufficently large enough to accomodate over 800 people seated with gangways but it will be restricted by the number of exits. We have fire fighting appliances and detection.

I have 2 direct double fire doors on the ground floor at oposite ends of the hall, both doors are the same width at 1m.55cm each, there is one internal entrance whci ive excluded from the calculation.  Do i calculate it that both doors can evacaue 200 people safely making in 400 or do i do the calculation based on 40 people per minute?

Ive read 2 different guides, one guide was saying 1 extra person for every 15mm above 1050mm  and the other states add the width together ie 3.10 x 40 (people per minue) x 2.5 minutes = 310 occupants

Also the building is steel frame but wooden cladding so i need to cosndider this, ive read in one guide to minus 20% off the occupancy because of the cladding.

In the past we have sated 400 people but i just wanted a second opinion.

Thank you

Andrew

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2022 12:25:33(UTC)
firesafety101

You may need to calculate if one fire exit is out of use because of the fire.

andrewjb1  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2022 14:05:17(UTC)
andrewjb1

We have not calculated the internal entrance and taken this out of the calculation which leaves the 2 doors

antbruce001  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2022 11:31:31(UTC)
antbruce001

I assume the entrance door is the largest door. The requirement is to rule out the largest door. You then need to get everyone out of the remaining doors. I think the difference is door widths you've found relate to the Fire Requirements you are looking at. BS9999 and Pas 79 are significantly different in the area. You should use the method provided in the guidance to which the building was built, most likely to be Pas 79.

Hope it helps.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2022 11:58:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

BS 9999:2017 Fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings.

Table 10 Minimum number of escape routes and exits from a room, tier or storey

Max 60 persons - 1 exit

Max 600 persons - 2 exits

More than 600 persons - 3 exits 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2022 11:58:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

BS 9999:2017 Fire safety in the design, management and use of buildings.

Table 10 Minimum number of escape routes and exits from a room, tier or storey

Max 60 persons - 1 exit

Max 600 persons - 2 exits

More than 600 persons - 3 exits 

andrewjb1  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2022 13:02:44(UTC)
andrewjb1

Thank you, im waiting for the fire risk assessor to confirm as there are 3 exits but we need to do the calculations,   we think it will be around 300 but there is also some new guidance coming out.