Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MartyB  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2022 17:44:18(UTC)
MartyB

I work in a small pharmaceutical / Biotech company. I am trying to arrange for a supply of hand cream / moisturiser (or emollient cream) to be made available for all staff. The main reason for this is down to the increased glove use and hand washing due to the work we do (potentially leading to dry hands). I thought it would be a nice gesture to arrange for a supply of hand cream to help people keep their hands in good order. I wondered if anyone could suggest a useful product that is relatively well priced and available in large bottles (preferably with a pump action dispenser type nozzle). I also wondered if anyone thinks this could pose a problem for those using the hand cream prior to using gloves for lab work, could this effect the permeability and effectiveness of the gloves? Any advice welcomed.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2022 18:52:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

You want to be talking to the likes of Deb or S C Johnson (or their distributors e.g. Arco) who offer a range of soaps, heavy duty cleaners and barrier creams including in dispenser board format.

Talking with the supplier will provide answers to the compatability questions you raise.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 10/06/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2022 18:52:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

You want to be talking to the likes of Deb or S C Johnson (or their distributors e.g. Arco) who offer a range of soaps, heavy duty cleaners and barrier creams including in dispenser board format.

Talking with the supplier will provide answers to the compatability questions you raise.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 10/06/2022(UTC)
Messey  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2022 20:10:58(UTC)
Messey

As you mention emollient creams, dont forget the fire safety risk - even if in a risk assessment you metion the risk is low 

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/carers-and-support-workers/emollient-and-skin-creams/

CdC  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2022 07:42:18(UTC)
CdC

Originally Posted by: Messey Go to Quoted Post

As you mention emollient creams, dont forget the fire safety risk - even if in a risk assessment you metion the risk is low 

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/carers-and-support-workers/emollient-and-skin-creams/

As I understood the OP is not working in a care setting. So the fire risk from emollient creams does not exist. I wouldn't not mention it in any fire risk assessment. The cream itself is not flammable, does not emit flammable vapours. People will be using it on their hands only, combined with regular handwashing, so no risk of them soaking their work clothes with the cream and creating the wicking effect that is seen in care settings, when nightgowns/clothes are not regularly washed.

thanks 2 users thanked CdC for this useful post.
Evans38004 on 10/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 10/06/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2022 10:42:01(UTC)
Kate

I agree with Roundtuit  - I've found Deb very happy to come in, understand the needs and make recommendations (and then want to give you a load of skin safety boards to advertise and be stocked by their products, so watch out for that if it's not what you want).

MartyB  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2022 13:05:11(UTC)
MartyB

Thanks for the replies, I think contacting deb might be a good option, they seem to offer the right kind of product. 

stevedm  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2022 07:19:12(UTC)
stevedm

juyst anotehr vote for Deb, and we use it in a Pharma evironment