Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matthew_Orton  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2022 13:04:55(UTC)
Matthew_Orton

Good Afternoon all, 

I am just afer an opinion or views on employees wearing shorts while operating Enclosed CNC Machines. This is mainly due to how warm it is becoming in the UK and some of the employees prefer wearing them.  

This area is new to me so any advice is appriciated. 

Thanks.  

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2022 13:18:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

One day of sunshine and the workforce want to strip off .

The CNC itself may be enclosed - what about all the brush against risks around the facility or when for example moving swarf. Overalls are chosen and issued to protect the employees own clothing and guard against low impact risks. Very few employers have shorts in their standard workwear for good reason and typically not in engineering where a two piece or boiler suit is the norm.

Even the Post Office appears negligent as we approach the high UV season with exposed staff arms and legs.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Matthew_Orton on 20/06/2022(UTC), Matthew_Orton on 20/06/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2022 13:18:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

One day of sunshine and the workforce want to strip off .

The CNC itself may be enclosed - what about all the brush against risks around the facility or when for example moving swarf. Overalls are chosen and issued to protect the employees own clothing and guard against low impact risks. Very few employers have shorts in their standard workwear for good reason and typically not in engineering where a two piece or boiler suit is the norm.

Even the Post Office appears negligent as we approach the high UV season with exposed staff arms and legs.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Matthew_Orton on 20/06/2022(UTC), Matthew_Orton on 20/06/2022(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2022 13:29:23(UTC)
Kate

Would you allow a female operator to wear a skirt for this activity?

There are similar H&S issues for shorts and for skirts.  The difference is in smartness which is a matter for the dress code not for H&S.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
Matthew_Orton on 20/06/2022(UTC), CptBeaky on 21/06/2022(UTC)
Tstamps  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2022 07:45:56(UTC)
Tstamps

Talking to our loaders the other day i asked how they were coping with the heat. Its a sideloader FLT'and so basically a glass cube and this heat is proving taxing. They have a small fan fitted to circulate the air but they requested that they wear shorts while the temp is at the level it is. I made then aware of the reasosn for long trousres and they argued what is the bigger risk, a scrape or heat stress? I agreed with them.

thanks 1 user thanked Tstamps for this useful post.
Matthew_Orton on 21/06/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2022 08:05:13(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Tstamps Go to Quoted Post
They have a small fan fitted to circulate the air but they requested that they wear shorts while the temp is at the level it is. I made then aware of the reasosn for long trousres and they argued what is the bigger risk, a scrape or heat stress? I agreed with them.

Rather than fix the cause of the problem a "small" fan you place them in a magnifying cube to suffer skin cancer

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 21 June 2022 08:05:13(UTC)
Roundtuit

They have a small fan fitted to circulate the air but they requested that they wear shorts while the temp is at the level it is. I made then aware of the reasosn for long trousres and they argued what is the bigger risk, a scrape or heat stress? I agreed with them.

Rather than fix the cause of the problem a "small" fan you place them in a magnifying cube to suffer skin cancer

Tstamps  
#8 Posted : 21 June 2022 08:20:42(UTC)
Tstamps

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Nope never said i dealt with it, unfortuntaely when i requested AC it was rejected, there are also other measures that we have introduced not least placing screens over some of the redundant windows, e.g. roof., what i did say was  that for the odd day of the year when it reaches ceratin high temps (external temp) then wearing shorts might help.

Do you always reply with such arrogance,? i came here to learn from more experineced professionals not be told off dude.

CptBeaky  
#9 Posted : 21 June 2022 08:22:23(UTC)
CptBeaky

It is a cliché, but it really depends on the risk assessment. Have a look around the machine and work area. Think of what chemicals and materials the operator is being exposed to etc. If after all this you feel the risk is low enough then there is no reason they can't wear shorts.

For example, in a foundry, with hot metal splashes, shorts wouldn't be a good idea. In a tidy workshop, with ample space and no chance of contact with dangerous chemicals, I don't see a problem.

As Kate says, would you allow skirts? If so, there is a strong case that shorts should also be allowed.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Matthew_Orton on 21/06/2022(UTC)