Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marcw  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2022 12:32:49(UTC)
marcw

Good afternoon hivemind, I am looking into softwear for calculating DSEAR zones. I have previously done this manually and it is extremly time consuming. In my new role there are multiple locations that I want to assess. 

I know HSE use a calculator, but I am after reccomendations on a calculator or program that would be suitable. 

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2022 22:29:51(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I spend most of my time working in the area of DSEAR. I know of no software that does hazard zone calculations as such.

I have developed an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the various formula in BS60079-10-1, instead of doing such calculations manually.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 03/08/2022(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2022 22:33:50(UTC)
Ian Bell2

This includes working out the ventilation and the resulting hazardous area classification and distance. The grade of release is also taken into account.

antbruce001  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2022 06:47:52(UTC)
antbruce001

As Ian has said, the normal way to do it (if you are using a calculation method) is just to develop a spreadsheet to simplify the calculations and avoid errors.

But don't restrict yourself to calculations. There is little agreement as to the validity of any single calculation or modeling method. Different calculations / methods give different results for the same conditions and no single calculation/method has been found to best represent the 'actual' zones for all materials / conditions.

I personally prefer a 'standard zoning' for recognsied guidance approach. These do require validation in terms of ensuring the basis forthe /zoning are met, but have a greater safety margin (give bigger Zones) but in most cases do not impose excessive demands in terms to the need for EX-rated items. It also allows for the use of specific industry guidance like IGEM (for natural gas) and BAMA (for areosols). I must admit I'm a bit wary of using the LPGA guidance in some cases.

Hope it helps

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2022 08:30:33(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Avoid IGEM standards if possible. They are usually a nightmare - very restrictive and difficult to apply in practice. Luckily they only apply to natural gas systems

marcw  
#6 Posted : 03 August 2022 10:56:00(UTC)
marcw

Thank you, looks like I am either best creating my own spreadsheet calculations or getting someone in, depending on cost / time.