Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Herb  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2022 11:04:32(UTC)
Herb

I know that the advise is to have at least one first aid box in every workplace but just wondered what ratio you are all working to in terms of how many boxes you provide and where they are placed if the workplace is all on one floor? I know that alot will depend on how quick the box can be accessed from the furthest room in the workplace. Just interested to hear others thoughts on this?

RVThompson  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2022 12:01:39(UTC)
RVThompson

Hi Herb,

Questions to ask are:

Nature & hazards of your business

One site or several; simple or complex layout of building(s)

Workforce Size, shift patterns, distribution (remote workers, drivers, etc.)

Accident record

Input from your workforce, etc.

The HSE website is useful  First aid needs assessment - First aid at work - HSE

Regards

R

achrn  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2022 12:58:30(UTC)
achrn

We specify one per floor in all our offices, but implicit in that specification is the knowledge that our largest floor has about 60 people.  Our greatest travel distance for a first aid kit is 30m, but that's not a criterion - it's just what it ends up as after putting them somewhere sensible on each floor.

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
HSSnail on 08/08/2022(UTC)
Pirellipete  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2022 13:56:28(UTC)
Pirellipete

I'm on a 5-storey apartment building site

I have an Eyewash on every level on the Safety Station, with FFE and the First Aid kit and defib is centrally located in the site office,

Reasoning - people don't wear LEP on this site, (Management decision, not mine), so quite likely to benefit from eyewash items. The FAK is centrally located so if people need something, I know about it and can do the (required) admin, and replenish the kit.  If there was an FAK on every level it would just get used without any reporting/advising on the need why

But, as always, it's a Risk Assessed approach, when I worked in the meat processing industry, we had more kits at in and around work front, including Major Bleed kits and First Aid training to include Catastrophic bleeding/Cut injuries

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2022 07:50:33(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

We specify one per floor in all our offices, but implicit in that specification is the knowledge that our largest floor has about 60 people.  Our greatest travel distance for a first aid kit is 30m, but that's not a criterion - it's just what it ends up as after putting them somewhere sensible on each floor.

i would say we are similar - low risk office work - we have tea points (not realy kitchens) on each floor with a wall mounted first aid kit in each - 
Jill T  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2022 08:31:39(UTC)
Jill T

We give our first aiders a grab bag, so they pick up and go to where ever they're needed