Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stefan Healey  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2023 14:18:37(UTC)
Stefan Healey

Hi all,

We are a Cheesemaker and utilise a waxing machine that is used to heat the wax and apply it to the outer surface of the product.

In light of a recent fire at a similar site, I thought it might be good to review our current waxing setup. Does anyone know where I might find information on the specifics of what if? with regard to wax fire/heating? It seems quite niche.

Many thanks,

Stef

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2023 15:37:42(UTC)
peter gotch

HI Stef

Given that it is usually paraffin wax that is applied to cheese, or cheese dropped into cheese to coat it, I suspect that there is more to the fire that you refer to than just the wax.

OK, obvious paraffin wax can be burnt, but you would usually expect any fire to be limited.

So, then the question is whether perhaps a very small fire has initiated something larger?

To use the parallel of a candle, as long as it is standing up, any fire should be limited to the candle UNLESS you either dangle something flammable above the flame OR you overturn the candle so that it ignites flammable materials to the side OR, possibly you have a flammable atmosphere and that goes up in flames or bang.

firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2023 18:47:40(UTC)
firesafety101

I am unable to answer the original question but can advise about lighted candles.

While in the fire service I was involved in rescuing a family from a fire caused by a lighted night-light sat on top of a plastic toilet systen.  The night-light had burned all the way down to the bottom.

There was actually two families in at the time, a Bitch had recently given birth and we carried her puppies out inside a fireman's helmet.  That made a great photo on front page of the Liverpool Echo.

Stefan Healey  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2023 12:17:05(UTC)
Stefan Healey

Thank you both.

The details are yet unclear as to the cause of the fire in question. My guesses would be similar to yours Peter, a combination of inadequate breakers potentially fusing open in a wiring panel (heating things causes a lot of electrical heat) or something along the lines of an environmental aspect such as Polystyrene composite panels or atmosphere, which is something widely used as a result of pre-existing structures in the UK.

I was hoping to find more on advice and mitigation, for example, not having water anywhere near wax (obvious reasons) but I seem to be struggling a little.