Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
telsa78  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:20:25(UTC)
telsa78

Hello, looking for some advice regarding RIDDOR reporting please. A client of mine had an apprentice who suffered a back injury on Monday 6th November. Accident book filled in. RIDDOR report was going to be submitted today as a 7 day injury but he attended college yesterday ( a normal part of his work) and then off sick today again. Does the 7 days begin from today again? 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:29:52(UTC)
Kate

I suppose this depends on whether or not they were really fit on the day of going to college (as it is their fitness, not their attendance, that matters).

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/11/2023(UTC)
telsa78  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:32:17(UTC)
telsa78

Hi Kate, thanks for the reply. I IP in question was fit enough to attend the whole day at college but woke up today to sore to attend the actual work site. 

Kate  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2023 11:40:28(UTC)
Kate

Perhaps they were sitting down a lot at college and that exacerbated the injury, and so they were not really fit enough to attend college after all?

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2023 12:45:58(UTC)
peter gotch

Morning telsa

Let's suppose that this apprentice's usual day job is involves some manual work, but that when they go to college they are largely sitting at a desk, then the "routine work" referred to in RIDDOR Reg 4(2) includes what they do in their usual day job.

So, if they weren't fit to do that "routine work" on the last day of the previous work week, and again not fit on the day after going to college, then the likelihood is that they weren't fit on the Monday when they went to do less onerous work at college.

Ergo, reportable unless you have good evidence to the contrary.

You don't count Monday 6 November but your clock starts from the Tuesday and when you get to the following Tuesday that is more than 7 days.

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2023 13:53:42(UTC)
HSSnail

Always a good one, RIDDOR state able to do normal duties - but as someone pointed out to me the other day it does not say ALL normal duties. I have seen someone suggest that as all jobs involve training if someone is unfit for all normal duties you could just schedule training for those days. Not sure this has ever been tested in a court of law

For me like Peter i would be looking at if the job entailed manual work could they not do it i would be reporting it.