Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Securicom  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2023 13:34:54(UTC)
Securicom

Hi All,

I'm after some advice please. 

I am currently working within the fibre networks industry and the company that I work for are introducing some new cables, specifically for MDU builds but can also be used in SDUs.

I have recently had some training from OFS, who are a large fibre optic cable manufacturer. They have introduced some great, incredibly low profile cables called invisilight. 

The piece of equipement I need advice about is the following: OFS Launches New InvisiLight® Indoor Living Unit Products - Cable Technology News

The idea of this is that there is a preterminated connector that will plug into the ONT, and then there is 40 metres of what OFS call cordage, which is essentially a very small  900 µm size fibre. It consists of the fibre in the inner core and then a plastic type jacket. That will be run throughout the property (over doorways etc) to a unit where we will splice it on to the feed fibre. 

I am keen on ensuring that we are abiding by the rules of securing cables using fireproof clips, but OFS are saying that this isnt a cable, it's a single fibre and doesnt have any aramid yarn so doesnt constitute a cable for the regulations, also due to the fact that the whole thing just melts in a fire and doesn't retain any strength. They therefore train that it just needs glueing using their glue which is not fireproof.

I am struggling to find a definitive british standards definition for a cable, but for me, if it looks like a cable and acts like a cable, its probably a cable.

I don't want to take OFS's word for it and want to make sure that we don't get stung by any inspectors.

Can anyone with more knowledge in the subject offer any advice?

Thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2023 14:39:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

The cable may melt when directly exposed to flame but what about those areas where the glue has given way leaving a loop of cable hanging over a door or window opening - given the small diameter in a smoky environment these are exactly the kind of problems the requirement for fire proof clips sought to overcome.

OpenReach use a form of metal staple running communication cables in domestic properties.

Bit of on-line research and these items appear across multiple articles about fibre-optic cable installation & the impact of the 18th edition.

https://www.fireflycableclips.com/fibre-optic-cable-clip-range/

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2023 14:39:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

The cable may melt when directly exposed to flame but what about those areas where the glue has given way leaving a loop of cable hanging over a door or window opening - given the small diameter in a smoky environment these are exactly the kind of problems the requirement for fire proof clips sought to overcome.

OpenReach use a form of metal staple running communication cables in domestic properties.

Bit of on-line research and these items appear across multiple articles about fibre-optic cable installation & the impact of the 18th edition.

https://www.fireflycableclips.com/fibre-optic-cable-clip-range/