Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Self and Hasty  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2023 10:06:44(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Good morning,

I've always looked at hinges of fire doors during inspection to ensure they have 3+ hinges with all the screws present and secure as part of a fire door check.

However, a site I've just inspected has modern doorsets with internal pivot hinges. I can't access or see the hinges to check if they are secure.

I can't find anywhere in the standards I've checked, where these internal pivot hinges are assessed/approved/fire rated or even mentioned.

Can someone please sign-post me to the right standard/regulation document that covers these hinges?

How are they supposed to be inspected and maintained? by being disassembled?

Thanks

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2023 11:13:29(UTC)
firesafety101

Originally Posted by: Self and Hasty Go to Quoted Post

Good morning,

I've always looked at hinges of fire doors during inspection to ensure they have 3+ hinges with all the screws present and secure as part of a fire door check.

However, a site I've just inspected has modern doorsets with internal pivot hinges. I can't access or see the hinges to check if they are secure.

I can't find anywhere in the standards I've checked, where these internal pivot hinges are assessed/approved/fire rated or even mentioned.

Can someone please sign-post me to the right standard/regulation document that covers these hinges?

How are they supposed to be inspected and maintained? by being disassembled?

Thanks

I've looked online and done a 'chat' Q&A with the design company in germany and will be emailed some information about the testing and standards.  I'll inform this forum when I recieve it.

In the meantime I remind you of the instruction to "use best endeavouirs " to check the fire doors.  If the occupant of a flat is not opening the door you are unable to check the inside leaf etc.

I know it is important to look at hinges but if you can't, you can't.  Flat occupiers are usually advised ahead of the FRA but it is up to them if they want to open their front door to a stranger, and I wouldn't expect them to 'wait in'.

I thank you for this question as I had not come across these hinges before.

thanks 2 users thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
M.cooper.99 on 05/12/2023(UTC), Self and Hasty on 05/12/2023(UTC)
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2023 16:34:12(UTC)
firesafety101

email received with certificate of testing.  

EN 1154:1996/A1;2003

EN1154:1996/A1:2003/AC:2006

The fire rating is a bit sketchy, there are two grades, Grade 0 not suitable for use on fire doors, and Grade 1 suitable for use on fire doors.  I would hope the grading will be etched into the hinge.  Perhaps you can tell me if you get the chance to instect one.

As you will be aware the fire resistance test is done with the whole FD assembly fixed together, I don't know if this has been done, or whether the above standard applies in UK.

Sorry it seems I have only done half a job.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2023 17:12:27(UTC)
Roundtuit

(BS) EN 1154:1996 is the harmonised standard for "Building hardware - Controlled door closing devices - Requirements and test methods"

(BS) EN 14351-1:2006+A2:2016 is the harmonised standard for "Windows and doors - Product standard, performance characteristics - Part 1: Windows and external pedestrian door sets without resistance to fire and/or smoke leakage characteristics"

(BS) EN 16034:2016 is the harmonised standard for "Pedestrian doorsets, industrial, commercial, garage doors and openable windows - Product standard, performance characteristics - Fire resisting and/or smoke control characteristics"

These standards sit under the Construction Products Regulation in relation to CE marking and are also considered Designated Standards for the purposes of UKCA marking under the UK CPR.

Approved Document B of the Building Regulations used to refer to Fire Resistance classification in accordance with BS 476-22 in Appendix C.

The recent surge of updates has seen this classification standard relegated to a look up cross referenec being superseeded by (BS) EN 13501-2 and its associated test methods (BS) EN 1634-1, -2, -3.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/12/2023(UTC), Self and Hasty on 07/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 06/12/2023(UTC), Self and Hasty on 07/12/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2023 17:12:27(UTC)
Roundtuit

(BS) EN 1154:1996 is the harmonised standard for "Building hardware - Controlled door closing devices - Requirements and test methods"

(BS) EN 14351-1:2006+A2:2016 is the harmonised standard for "Windows and doors - Product standard, performance characteristics - Part 1: Windows and external pedestrian door sets without resistance to fire and/or smoke leakage characteristics"

(BS) EN 16034:2016 is the harmonised standard for "Pedestrian doorsets, industrial, commercial, garage doors and openable windows - Product standard, performance characteristics - Fire resisting and/or smoke control characteristics"

These standards sit under the Construction Products Regulation in relation to CE marking and are also considered Designated Standards for the purposes of UKCA marking under the UK CPR.

Approved Document B of the Building Regulations used to refer to Fire Resistance classification in accordance with BS 476-22 in Appendix C.

The recent surge of updates has seen this classification standard relegated to a look up cross referenec being superseeded by (BS) EN 13501-2 and its associated test methods (BS) EN 1634-1, -2, -3.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/12/2023(UTC), Self and Hasty on 07/12/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 06/12/2023(UTC), Self and Hasty on 07/12/2023(UTC)