Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tristan H  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2023 04:28:04(UTC)
Tristan H

I'm reaching out for some guidance and experience regarding interpretation of Fire regulations.

Specifically, I'm trying to identify the requirements for a fire exit.

I have reviewed a business and identified doors which do not open, and are sealed with no bars or handles. The doors Have windows which are on a hinge and open out Ward, with no other means of opening. Basically it's marked as a fire exit with signage and emergency lighting. However, in order to get out you would have to climb out the window onto firm, standing flagstones.

I'm struggling to understand if it is, in fact, legally a fire exit exit from the point of inclusion to all such as people with less mobility.

I personally have never seen a construction that is essentially obviously adore, which has been adapted and sealed, making it impossible to open, and within the construction of the door, which is UPVC Window, but opened up by pushing it out on a hinge, and remains in position.

I would really appreciate anybody's experience of this to clarify Legal requirements,.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2023 12:57:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Approved Document B is a free download covering fire safety in buidlings.

This is mirrored in BS 9999 Code of practice for fire safety in the design of buildings.

These are the reference documents used in construction - I do not recall seeing what you have described in either

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2023 12:57:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Approved Document B is a free download covering fire safety in buidlings.

This is mirrored in BS 9999 Code of practice for fire safety in the design of buildings.

These are the reference documents used in construction - I do not recall seeing what you have described in either

firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2023 13:10:51(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, I don't 'interpret regulations' but do use guidance documents.  There are guidance documents for various types of use and the right one for you would be useful in explaining travel distances for means of escape and requirements for Fire Doors which are different to Fire Exit doors.

I have experienced similar to what you describe and done my assessment of the other available means of escape and found some exits not essential to means of escape so advised they can be removed from the fire plan, remain sealed and remove all signage denoting Fire Exit.