Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MET TC  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2024 15:29:54(UTC)
MET TC

Hi all.

I've only just entered into the QHSE sector last October so am in need of help some help.

We are a metal fab workshop. We manufacture items of over 2M tall with the use of welding equip, grinders, forklifts, MEWPS, safety harnesses among many other workshop plant and tools.

It is now my part to arrange training for the use of things like forklifts, scissor lifts and safety harnesses and awareness training using online software.

All of these cost money, expensive day rates and buying all the bundles starts to add up significantly.

My question is: When new employees start (bearing in mind there's always a probation period) is it necessary/mandatory to get these guys training immediately? in this industry, spome people come and go in a day or two, or maybe a week or two. By which time money is thrown down the training drain. 

I'm afraid i know the answer but if anyone has any knowledge then i am happy to listen.

many thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2024 15:54:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

You aren't going to get a life raft here as absolute employer duties to ensure sufficient instruction, supervision and traing start from day 1.

Why not change your recruitment practices and work with a local agency using Temp to Perm contracting?

May not cut a lot of the training costs but would give a better starting point than someone who needs all training.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
MET TC on 11/01/2024(UTC), MET TC on 11/01/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2024 15:54:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

You aren't going to get a life raft here as absolute employer duties to ensure sufficient instruction, supervision and traing start from day 1.

Why not change your recruitment practices and work with a local agency using Temp to Perm contracting?

May not cut a lot of the training costs but would give a better starting point than someone who needs all training.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
MET TC on 11/01/2024(UTC), MET TC on 11/01/2024(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2024 16:03:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Yes you know the answer but to confirm it look at Management of Health At Work Regulations Regulation 13(2):

(2) Every employer shall ensure that his employees are provided with adequate health and safety training—

1. on their being recruited into the employer’s undertaking; and
  2. on their being exposed to new or increased risks because of—
  1. their being transferred or given a change of responsibilities within the employer’s undertaking.
  2.  the introduction of new work equipment into or a change respecting work equipment already in use within the employer’s undertaking,
  3. the introduction of new technology into the employer’s undertaking, or
  4. the introduction of a new system of work into or a change respecting a system of work already in use within the employer’s undertaking.

At no point does it say, “so far as reasonably practicable” or “when the training budget allows”. But the training must be relevant. A lot of H&S training out there is totally generic and only done just so that you can tick a box and issue a certificate. What is really needed is on the job training, where you explain to employees what they need to know to do their job in your workplace in a safe manner. You also need to provide them with H&S information such as what to do if there is a fire or how to report an accident etc. again that is based on what your business is doing, and you don’t need to hire a trainer to do that.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
MET TC on 11/01/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2024 17:17:11(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi MET TC

The legislation that AK quotes simply builds on what has been in force via Section 2(2)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 came into operation and all that really did was to codify the duties of an employer under civil law.

So, why not ask around to find out what on the job training was done for new starts BEFORE it became fashionable to do online training?

When I started work in each of a few factories, the foreman (or equivalent) gave me some one to one training - induction as to what happened in each of the workplaces and training in the tasks I was to do and NOT do.

Not rocket science and whilst it might not always have been perfect, in general it would have met the legsl requirements than and now.

P

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 12/01/2024(UTC), MET TC on 12/01/2024(UTC)