Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2024 14:04:05(UTC)
JL

If an employee’s desk/Chair layout is in opposition the DSE principles (because it is there personal preference). Would this be deemed acceptable. If they are informed of the recommended best practice and where improvements can be made and they still wont change, due to personal prefence. Does this cover the employer should issue occur at a later stage.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2024 14:34:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

The US air force spent millions of dollars developing a "standard" plane seat that would fit all pilots - sadly the final design fitted no one comfortably.

Simlarly DSE assessments try to address all users on the assumption of using old style workstations around at the time the regulations were written.

I am typing this at home on a laptop whose screen is not raised to eye level rather it is tilted backwards because that is my personal preference, a comfort preference shared by many of my colleagues.

Can I suggest you re-visit your assessement and make it less about prescriptive measures and more about comfort in use e.g. can your screen be adjusted to...? Best practice is meant to document what most people do to effectivley execute a task.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 12/01/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 15/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 12/01/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 15/01/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2024 14:34:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

The US air force spent millions of dollars developing a "standard" plane seat that would fit all pilots - sadly the final design fitted no one comfortably.

Simlarly DSE assessments try to address all users on the assumption of using old style workstations around at the time the regulations were written.

I am typing this at home on a laptop whose screen is not raised to eye level rather it is tilted backwards because that is my personal preference, a comfort preference shared by many of my colleagues.

Can I suggest you re-visit your assessement and make it less about prescriptive measures and more about comfort in use e.g. can your screen be adjusted to...? Best practice is meant to document what most people do to effectivley execute a task.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 12/01/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 15/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 12/01/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 15/01/2024(UTC)
Elfin_Safety  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2024 15:12:13(UTC)
Elfin_Safety

I would not see any issue with this, as long as you can evidence that the person has had sufficient information on the good practice set out in the Guidance to the Regulations, and that they have the ability to adjust their position and equipment to suit. All the regs themselves really demand is that the person has the equipment, space and freedom of movement to find a comfortable working position.

Remember a DSE assessment is just that, not a list of rules to be 'complied with'. If you're using a standard checklist or software it's OK to answer 'no' to some of the questions, as long as you can demonstrate that doing so is not introducing a risk.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2024 16:56:46(UTC)
Kate

Well it all depends on how it is in opposition to the principles and whether this creates a risk.

If their personal preference is to sit on the desk and put the DSE on a swivel chair, that might not be acceptable.

I've sometimes come across DSE setups that looked unusual and were due to the user's health conditions that made a variation to the usual setup better for them.  You don't put both feet on the floor if one of them needs to be raised because of injury.

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2024 09:36:36(UTC)
HSSnail

What is it they are doing that you think they should not? Prople often comment on the fact that I have my screen lower that the normal eye level set up you see in the guidance, but then i use vary focal specs. If i dont have my screen low i have to tilt ny head back to use the right part of the lense and get terrible kneck ach.

Edited by user 15 January 2024 10:37:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified