Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2024 12:25:02(UTC)
chris42

Hi All

A Long shot, I’m trying to determine if an electrician has sufficient qualifications to work for us in a commercial / industrial setting. He has a C&G2360 ( with NVQ4) and C&G2391 from over 20 years ago. He is a member of  NICEIC but only for domestic work and 10 years ago (still registered with them though). Now before anyone mentions it, Yes I know qualifications alone do not make you competent.

However, having said that, would you expect them to update their qualification from over 20 years ago, to help stay up to date or would you accept C&G2360 is still good. When I use the internet all I get is companies offering to update the Qualification, which is making me a little nervous about using him. We don’t want to have him do some work only to be told a little while later by another contractor it is not acceptable and have to pay out again.

Now googling just takes you in circles about updating training, but has anyone come across anything that would clarify if these qualifications at least, are still considered valid with no other evidence of CPD. It also makes me wonder why NICEIC would only certify him for domestic work.

Any info links would be appreciated.

Chris

thunderchild  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2024 15:19:12(UTC)
thunderchild

I'll be honest, if I want him in and industrial setting and he is only registered for domestic I'd be looking at another contractor. Also you don't mention if he holds his 18th Edition quals.

thanks 1 user thanked thunderchild for this useful post.
chris42 on 25/01/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2024 15:28:44(UTC)
firesafety101

Originally Posted by: thunderchild Go to Quoted Post

I'll be honest, if I want him in and industrial setting and he is only registered for domestic I'd be looking at another contractor. Also you don't mention if he holds his 18th Edition quals.

I agree with the above.  Qualification with 18th Edition is essential.  They also do CPD.

thanks 2 users thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
thunderchild on 25/01/2024(UTC), chris42 on 25/01/2024(UTC)
Jdunn  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2024 16:53:56(UTC)
Jdunn

2391 doesn't need to be updated. When you state they are still registered with NICEIC is this as a QS or PDH? if QS then the NICIEC have deemed them competent to carry out the work to their standard on an annual basis. 

I would state as previously mentioned that if you are looking for an industrial/commercial electrician I would look specifically for someone with that experience, however the cross over from domestic to commerical/industrial is not that big. I have employeed electricians whom have only carried out domestic work and they have had no issue with the transisiton. I would be concered if they felt they could not transition.

They should have updated 18th edition qualifications, to confirm they have an uderstanding of current regs....however if they are NICEIC registered as a QS this is a requirement of their membership.

thanks 1 user thanked Jdunn for this useful post.
chris42 on 09/02/2024(UTC)