Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
O'Donnell54548  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2024 08:27:07(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

I read with interest the findings of the IOSH members survey carried out in 2023. It stated that 7,015 members responded.

To take any meaning from the results can anyone tell me how many members of IOSH, at all levels, there are so that I may judge the signifigance of the results.

Thank you  

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2024 12:51:06(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi O'Donnell

There are over 50,000 IOSH Members according to the IOSH website.

According to the latest IOSH Annual Report there were over 49,000 at 31 March 2023 of whom 26% were chartered, so about 13,000 CMIOSH or CFIOSH.

I have written to IOSH more than once (most recently on 19 January) for a breakdown of Members by Grade but IOSH seems reluctant to give out this information.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 12/02/2024(UTC), O'Donnell54548 on 12/02/2024(UTC)
HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2024 13:43:54(UTC)
HSSnail

Have you been sent a link to the results? I may have missed it but have not seen them.

O'Donnell54548  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2024 17:15:10(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Hi O'Donnell

There are over 50,000 IOSH Members according to the IOSH website.

According to the latest IOSH Annual Report there were over 49,000 at 31 March 2023 of whom 26% were chartered, so about 13,000 CMIOSH or CFIOSH.

I have written to IOSH more than once (most recently on 19 January) for a breakdown of Members by Grade but IOSH seems reluctant to give out this information.

Thank you. It is always the same with any survey, results are given in percentages but this needs to be quantified against how many responses are received. For example it states that: nine out of ten respondents said the health and safety role is valued in their organisation, with 61 per cent saying it is “highly valued”.

I have to say, based on many of the posts on here, that seemed a high number, and perhaps the low response says more than the results. 

O'Donnell54548  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2024 17:19:42(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: HSSnail Go to Quoted Post

Have you been sent a link to the results? I may have missed it but have not seen them.

Hi, I went on the news button, and then pressed on 'Mental Health & Wellbeing should be part of the OSH role'. That is where I found the references to the survey. I hope that helps. 
thanks 1 user thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
HSSnail on 13/02/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2024 15:43:02(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi O'Donnell

A PS - I routinely complete every IOSH survey that ever comes to my attention and I don't remember doing the survey that IOSH mentioned in the press release that attempts to say that OSH professionals should be leading on mental health issues.

Now that could be down to a survey which was much broader in its question set, where IOSH has then homed in on one aspect and may have presented a number that isn't statistically significant due to small sample size.

I think that some basic understanding of statistics should be a component of all H&S profesional training, particularly at say Level 6 or above. I was fortunate enough to do a module of statistics as part of my A Level Maths, and then more at Uni - means that I look at some of the numbers that IOSH occasionally prints and think - "doubt that this is statistically significant". Not just IOSH!

Alternatively, the survey might have been issued to and completed by a highly skewed sample of IOSH Members. If you choose who to pick it is quite easy to get the results you want.

The Snail has given a clue - I don't think these results have been published in sufficient detail by IOSH.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
O'Donnell54548 on 15/02/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2024 17:31:06(UTC)
Kate

I do seem to remember an IOSH survey some months ago in which one of the questions was along the lines of whether well-being was in the H&S professional remit.