Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pseudonym  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2024 11:27:20(UTC)
pseudonym

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any good sources of H&S information for an safety committee in a non-unionised setting? I'm a bit old-school, so was thinking of something hardcopy like a magazine or journal to keep them up to speed on current events and H&S related matters

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2024 19:29:49(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi pseudonym

I am struggling to think of a magazine that would do a good job of what you are seeking.

So much of the content of the most obvious choices is either adverts, advertorials, self-promotion by self-annointed thought leaders and/or sycophantic waffle.

It might help if you indicated your sector and geography or geographies.

P

thanks 5 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Kate on 23/03/2024(UTC), MikeKelly on 23/03/2024(UTC), pseudonym on 25/03/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 25/03/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 25/03/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2024 07:32:04(UTC)
Kate

You may be old school but the question is are they?  It is the preferences of the recipients of communications which matter.

thanks 3 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 23/03/2024(UTC), pseudonym on 25/03/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 25/03/2024(UTC)
pseudonym  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2024 08:21:51(UTC)
pseudonym

Yes, well their 'preferred' method of communication woud actually be somebody else bothering with it & not them, I'm afraid Kate. 

thanks 2 users thanked pseudonym for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 25/03/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 25/03/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2024 11:06:37(UTC)
firesafety101

As they are not in a trade union and IMHO they need to attend a training course built around the rules for safety Reps.

I did this many moons ago, trade union safety reps went to the local trade union centre in Liverpool where they received a few days training from a trade union chap, free of charge.

I sent the non trade union safety reps to a local college, there was a small cost but as it was a training college and they were training chefs and hospitaloty people their lunches were marvellous, and they were free as well.  Small charge for the course.

thanks 1 user thanked firesafety101 for this useful post.
pseudonym on 25/03/2024(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2024 11:47:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘information’? Is  it  about incidents etc ? You sometimes get interesting reports in the mainstream media, which might have more impact than something from the ‘elf and safety’ echo chamber.  This for example shows the importance of  something as simple as labelling things correctly. Essentially a barman mistook caustic soda for salt when making margaritas. Something as simple as transferring one product into another container created a whole load of grief. Also note the fine; not that long ago you need to kill someone to geta fine like that. Its the minor things  that often catch you out, which is the lesson here.

Does your company think of itself as invincible? Are they convinced that nothing bad can happen to them? H&S is full of stories of hubris clobbered by nemesis.