Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Davidfilce  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2024 13:28:16(UTC)
Davidfilce

Hi

Our OH monitoring for the drivers of our manufacturing site vehilces (FLTs, Telehandlers, product movement shunters etc) is based on Group 1 monitoring standards.

We have one person who drives a delivery HGV on public roads across the country. This person is monitored at Group 2 standard as would be expected.

Our product movement shunters, taking goods from manufacturing to the warehouse (on the same site, so no requirement to drive on public roads) are old, secondhand HGV unit and trailers.

There is a 10mph speed limit on site and a set, defined route for the vehicle movement. All drivers are trained in these vehicles for site movements.

My belief and assessment is that Group 1 monitoring is sufficient for this role (due to on-site rather than public road driving, slow vehicle speeds and set routes). But I would be interested if anyone has a view point whereby Group 2 would be significantly more appropriate.

Thank you

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2024 14:21:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/personnel/medicalfitness.htm

Why are you seeking to gold plate your occupational health requirements?

Have you considered the implications should an internal driver currently suitable for the last xx years be found deficient in switching them to HGV standards and renewal frequency?

For your vehicles on your site there is no legal requirement for any form of DVLA Licence.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2024 14:21:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/personnel/medicalfitness.htm

Why are you seeking to gold plate your occupational health requirements?

Have you considered the implications should an internal driver currently suitable for the last xx years be found deficient in switching them to HGV standards and renewal frequency?

For your vehicles on your site there is no legal requirement for any form of DVLA Licence.

chris42  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2024 08:40:01(UTC)
chris42

I know with some of the larger fork lift trucks they recommend Group 2 medical assessments. In the link kindly provided by Roundtuit, it notes that group one is generally ok except in some cases ie where there is a heavy vehicle (hence why some large FLT’s come into this). I would say your HGV by its own description is a heavy vehicle.

However I would also say that you should consider the other factors before making your decision, ie hazardous nature of load, operating at night, even perhaps predominant weather conditions ( is it always rainy etc), internal roadway conditions tarmac or scalping’s etc not just a pre-defined route. Will there always be lots of people around or is the unit operated off the beaten track at the back of the building, so how big is your risk.

Again, as noted by Roundtuit there is no licence required, but you are just talking of the medical assessment I think. Is this something you are already doing and employees being compliant with or are you looking to bring in a new requirement.

Chris

Davidfilce  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2024 09:26:06(UTC)
Davidfilce

Thanks guys.

I appreciate that there is no DVLA impact as the vehicle doesnt leave site, so it is just the Group 1 or Group 2 monitoring for OH.

I am also aware that Group 2 OH monitoring is more stringent than Group 1 and I am reluctant to tie my organisation up in unnecessary knots (hence for those staff who shunt product between production and storage are trained to drive the shunter on site and are monitoried at Group 1.

As I said, I feel that is appropriate, and I was simply just reviewing that assessment with my H&S peers