Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ahmed amar119  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2024 20:51:03(UTC)
ahmed amar119

hello, now I was requested to prepare slides for a presentation on the above topic; so please can you share with me more about safety precautions for tack weld 

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2024 10:41:14(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Ahmed

Welcome to the Forums.

A thread read over 100 times without reply which possibly indicates that readers are unsure about what you want to get across to your audience.

You could be concerned about the direct risks from welding (whatever method being used - and the method will result in some differences in the risks to the welders and those around them). 

However, you specifically mention tack welding rather than welding in general which might mean that the tack welding is being done to offer temporary security pending other operations to permanently secure components together - so part of a so called "Temporary Works" design.

If you are more concerned about the latter, then it is about what actions are needed to stop a parting of the components which in some circumstances could result in a catastrophic structural collapse.

If you aer looking for constructive help with your question, I suggest you clarify your objectives in putting together and delivering this training.

Might also be that somebody has asked you to develop these slides as a test of your own capabalities and if you find some generic slides from a reader on these Forums, that you are simply using somebody else's work might be obvious to whoever has asked you to do this task.

Good luck, Peter

chris42  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2024 15:36:21(UTC)
chris42

You would normally put a tack weld on to hold the items in place before full welding, I would suggest that you would rarely just put one tack weld on. I would therefore have all the same controls in place as for full welding.

Even if you only needed one tack weld to say hold a nut in position ( which will later be inaccessible), how many times a day will you put that one small weld on something.

You also need to consider what materials you are welding together.

As Peter notes not really enough information, but I would suggest you are likely to have all the same issues, with fume, optical radiation, fire controls etc as full welding. However without knowing more it is not really possible to give a proper answer.