Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gilby  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2024 15:46:44(UTC)
Gilby

Hi,  the staff in our laboratory have asked if they can hang their lab coats onto the doors of an electrical cupboard located in the lab as there's no wall space available next to the entrance. I'm a little bit uncomfortable with this as it doesn't seem sensible to hang flammable material to a fire door. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this. Thanks.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2024 17:57:49(UTC)
Kate

To hang a coat on a door, as far as I can picture it either the door has to be open or it has to have some kind of hook fitted to it.

Either would be dodgy on a fire door to an electrical cupboard.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2024 19:17:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

What is wrong with a free standing coat rack stand?

Where do they hang their ordinary coat or leave their umbrella when coming in to work?

Why does it have to be "in the lab"?

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2024 19:17:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

What is wrong with a free standing coat rack stand?

Where do they hang their ordinary coat or leave their umbrella when coming in to work?

Why does it have to be "in the lab"?

Messey  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2024 21:23:04(UTC)
Messey

I cant see an issue to hang coats on a fire door as long as they are on hooks - and on the lab side of the door!!!! (notwitstanding I have no idea of the processes carried on in the lab) ​​​​​​​Would it really significantly reduce the FR integrity of the door? - I cant see it

Kate  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2024 05:09:17(UTC)
Kate

Isn't drilling screws into a fire door a risk to its integrity?

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2024 08:53:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As Messey said the point of the fire resistant cupboard is to prevent a fire getting out of the cupboard not to protect the electrics. So in theory as long the coats are hung on the outside  and nobody drills holes into the cupboard it should be ok. A coat rack for lab coats is nice in theory but in most labs, I worked in there is no space to fit a coat rack on the wall and people tend to leave their coats on the back of stools and chairs where they pose a trip hazard as they tend to reach the floor.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2024 09:42:09(UTC)
chris42

For clarification, is the door a metal one on an electrical enclosure or is it a normal wooden fire door that you get in building for people to walk through to get into another room.

I may be concerned that a metal door may transmit heat via conduction to the coats. Even if a normal fire door with 30 or 60 min rating I always though you should not put combustible items on it, even paper.

I may also think about if the door hinges can take the extra weight, ( but will depend on the number of coats)

Just some musings on your post.

firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2024 10:03:01(UTC)
firesafety101

Yes, in some cases you can make alterations to your fire door, however, these alterations can only be done if they remain within the scope of the fire door's Certifire Approval documents. For example when a fire-rated door viewer or intumescent letterbox / letter plate is required. This information should also be detailed in the installation and maintenance instructions supplied with each door leaf. It is critical that any changes made to a fire door are done so following the manufacturer’s instructions, by a trained professional, and with certified hardware to ensure that the performance of the door, and its associated certification, is not compromised.

copied from safelincs.co.uk

Gilby  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2024 10:50:38(UTC)
Gilby

Hi, thanks for all your replies. The cupboard doors are made out of wood not metal and I don't anticipate a huge number of coats will be hung on the doors, maybe 4 max. I'm minded to allow them go ahead with this as I don't think there's a realistic alternative. I'm worried a coat stand will get knocked over and damage equipment or break chemical containing bottles. Thanks. 

Gilby  
#11 Posted : 01 May 2024 10:54:11(UTC)
Gilby

Forgot to mention. I'll make sure the screws that hold the hooks in place do not go completely through the door.

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2024 12:28:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is it actually a "Fire Door" i.e. plated as being resistant?

Personally I am with Kate on being careful about screwing anything in to a door - quite a lot are panel designs i.e. a wooden frame at the edges with thin panels either side and typically a honeycomb inside aka nothing for screws to fix to.

If it's not a true fire door is there a minimal gap over which a door top hanger set could be hooked? 

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 01 May 2024 12:28:54(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is it actually a "Fire Door" i.e. plated as being resistant?

Personally I am with Kate on being careful about screwing anything in to a door - quite a lot are panel designs i.e. a wooden frame at the edges with thin panels either side and typically a honeycomb inside aka nothing for screws to fix to.

If it's not a true fire door is there a minimal gap over which a door top hanger set could be hooked? 

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 01 May 2024 12:53:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

I have only worked at one site where the laboratory was accessed by an external door and the walls inaccesibe due to equipment - all others you had to pass along a corridor where racks for lab coats and dispensers for gloves and eye protection would be found.

Very early on in my education teachers would drum in to students the importance of keeping floors clear to prevent accident - coats and school bags being relegated to the back of the laboratory not hanging off chairs.

Why is it "our brightest" often appear the least sensible when it come to taking unecessary risk and creating preventable hazard.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 02/05/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 02/05/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 01 May 2024 12:53:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

I have only worked at one site where the laboratory was accessed by an external door and the walls inaccesibe due to equipment - all others you had to pass along a corridor where racks for lab coats and dispensers for gloves and eye protection would be found.

Very early on in my education teachers would drum in to students the importance of keeping floors clear to prevent accident - coats and school bags being relegated to the back of the laboratory not hanging off chairs.

Why is it "our brightest" often appear the least sensible when it come to taking unecessary risk and creating preventable hazard.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 02/05/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 02/05/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#16 Posted : 01 May 2024 17:50:52(UTC)
firesafety101

Has nobody thought of personal lockers where valuables and coats can be secured out of the way.

Messey  
#17 Posted : 01 May 2024 19:43:31(UTC)
Messey

Ok, its always tricky to understand the full picture, but how I see this issue: The electrical intake is in the lab. The occupants of the premises are awake and familiar with it

Its in a fire resisting cupboard/space with a fire door fitted. The fire resisting nature of the enclosure is to surround a high fire risk bit of infrastructure. The fire door is not protecting a means of escape, other than those in the lab

If this is the case, I truly cannot see a huge issue in using short screws to fit coat hooks. It all about risk assessment and whether it's appropriate for life safety concerns  However, if the electrical intake was withing a single starcase building (not alternative means of escape from upstairs) used as a hotel or care home, where people may be asleep or unfamiliar - indeed, some may require assistance in leaving the building - then altering the fire door (even slightly) would be a definate no-no

Some may have another opinion, but fire risk assessing is NOT slavishly applying standards in a robotic and prescriptive manner to achieve zero risk, its about using standards as a tool to pragmatically drive risk to a tolerable level, even if that means reducing the requirements of that standard (if it can be justified)

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
peter gotch on 02/05/2024(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#18 Posted : 02 May 2024 08:28:26(UTC)
A Kurdziel

My own thoughts were that you could glue the hooks to the cabinet door, rather than screw them in.

Labs by there nature vary: teaching labs are generally well managed, but labs used for R&D can be very cluttered. Putting hooks on the wall outside the lab is a good solution along with lockers except when the local fire brigade suggests that the corridor is a protected fire escape route and nothing can be stored their, they even objected to posters on the walls.  

Note, people store flammables on the top of lockers, and they keep laptops inside the lockers. Laptops contain lithium batteries, which are the most hazardous thing ever apparently( this is me being sarcastic in case someone misses it) . So the lab coats go back into the labs!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 02/05/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#19 Posted : 02 May 2024 11:17:32(UTC)
firesafety101

Personally I'm loathe to allow anything attached to a FR door except the required labels.

Short screws can be pulled out by the weight of anything hanging on the hook/s, not just lab coats but backpacks and similar.

Would the coats be combustible and or even flammable if exposed to certain chemicals, (powders or liquids).

Would ther be a box of matches in a coat pocket.

Will the coats hang in front of the "FIRE DOOR KEEP SHUT" sign.

A Kurdziel  
#20 Posted : 02 May 2024 11:53:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

“Would the coats be combustible and or even flammable if exposed to certain chemicals, (powders or liquids)”

Well a lot of things are combustible if exposed to certain chemicals including people, which is why you wear lab coats as it is better for a labcoat to get scorched than a lab user.

“Could there be a box of matches in a coat pocket.” Unlikely as smoking is not permitted in labs but someone could have a lithium battery in their pocket-see previous sarcasm.

“Will the coats hang in front of the "FIRE DOOR KEEP SHUT" sign.” That is possible but the cupboard should be kept locked with only the sparkies having access. If you allow people to have access to electrical cupboards, they tend use them to store combustibles etc.  

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 02/05/2024(UTC), Kate on 02/05/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#21 Posted : 02 May 2024 12:53:00(UTC)
peter gotch

Gilby hasn't actually said that the door has a sign "FIRE DOOR KEEP SHUT" on it, and without checking the detail of e.g. Approved Document B, I am not convinced that a locked door to electical equipment would need such a sign. 

Sometimes, people just default to "the norm" without thinking through the practicalities.

Such an approach works when the legislation is almost entirely written in prescripive (DO this) or proscriptive (DON'T DO that) wording, as in e.g. most US H&S and fire legislation but is not well suited where the legislation in almost entirely "goal setting", so that what is to be done should be proportionate and based on an appropriate risk assessment.

Edited by user 02 May 2024 12:53:42(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
HSSnail on 07/05/2024(UTC)