Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anet  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2024 21:06:20(UTC)
Anet

Hi all, 

I was asked today to write a final report on a major nonconformance and give a H&S gudiance/expertise for the managment  after a forklift driver hit a steel post in our yard due to not mantaining proper awarness while reversing with the forklift toes at the full width from the last lift. Honsetly, speaking I have not done it in the past and the company has not got any templets either. I have all the records/statements from the investegations but I had to do the final report as the driver has a pattern of unsafe acts. What shall I include in this report apart of all information that I gather up? Shall I add what regulations have been breached ? The forklift got badly damaged. 

Thank you

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2024 10:26:01(UTC)
A Kurdziel

A nonconformance usually  means a failure to follow or comply with some sort of standard.  I am not quite sure how an accident like this constitutes a systems failure.  It looks more like an accident and for that you follow your organisations accident reporting and investigation policy. HSG48 which gives background to human errors and how to classify the various types of human error, the difference between errors and violations etc.

When it comes to your report I was always told to; introduce the report(what are you  going to say), substance of the report( say what you want to say) and finally a summary and conclusion (i.e. explain what you have just said). You don’t need to mention legislation as it’s not relevant to the accident and it’s causes. Do not get into the blame game; leave that to managers and HR. Focus on the root causes not the immediate causes- so why was the FLT driver not maintaining proper awareness while reversing? Was it a lack of training or supervision?  Were they distracted? On the phone? Does the driver have issues with their vision? Is  the yard a mess with lots of blind spots and dead ends where you end up reversing a lot of time?

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
PDarlow on 03/05/2024(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 03/05/2024(UTC), Kate on 03/05/2024(UTC)
Tedious  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2024 11:01:11(UTC)
Tedious

I suppose it could be a system failure if it wasnt prevented from continuing. If there a history what was done to try and prevent its continuation? 

achrn  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2024 11:07:24(UTC)
achrn

It would be a non-conformance if the system says not to do what the driver did, or it says to do something that the driver didn't do but which would have prevented the incident.

In our system you don't need to do it more than once for it to be a non-conformance if it's found (taht is, it doesn't need to be a continuing error).

Anet  
#5 Posted : 03 May 2024 12:39:29(UTC)
Anet

Hi all, 

Thank ytou for your sugestions. Nothings was really done the driver is operating other forklift. I brought it up again suring the menagment meeting that his card should be conbiscated until the investiagation is conluded. So i was told to conclude my finial report and send up to the Director. 

I have started with a small induction to the incident, possible cuases of the incident and what preventions/corrective actions ahve been implemented after the incident etc. I hope it will be ok 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2024 12:46:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

When is this forum going to get a functioning spell checker?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
PDarlow on 03/05/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 03/05/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2024 12:46:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
PDarlow on 03/05/2024(UTC), PDarlow on 03/05/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2024 15:03:00(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Anet

From the way you have posed your question it rather sounds as if you have been dragged in after others have led the investigation and have been given a brief to now finalise the report on an investigation that might have been far from satisfactory for e.g. reasons such as those that AK has hinted at.

It does rather sound as if you are now to be the henchman to identify the operator's "unsafe act" as "the cause" without much in depth investigation to look for the multiple possible "unsafe condition" that may have contributed to this accident. 

Many years ago, I got the job of developing and delivering training on incident investigation for an organisation. 

At each course I asked each of my delegates to write down the basics of an incident that they were personally familiar with and one of those one day was (surprise, surprise) a fork truck incident. 

At first sight this appeared to have been the result of unsafe acts by both the operator and another person who SHOULD have been acting as a banksman but was doing something else.

....and that was exactly how the organisation had initially seen it - they were about to discipline both these people before deciding that they really ought to dig a bit deeper and that's when all the skeletons came tumbling out.

Now I didn't know about all these skeletons when I asked two parallel case study groups to do a "5 WHYs" analyis of this incident.

SOOOO many unsafe CONDITIONS, which if any had been dealt with would have made the unsafe ACTS on the day largely irrelevant. ONE of them was the reason why the banksman was doing something else.

Is it too late to say STOP and revisit the investigation?

thanks 3 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/05/2024(UTC), Kate on 03/05/2024(UTC), Martin Fieldingt on 07/05/2024(UTC)
Acorns  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2024 17:46:42(UTC)
Acorns

Why the need for so much reversing? If it’s become habit, why has it not been challenged /supervised/ addressed. What has our driver really had to say? Was it a disciplinary interview cloaked inside what they’ve call an investigation? So often avoidable reverse incident evolve from pressure to get more work done and to shave off seconds by this type of behaviour? Agree with above, everyone else has got involved until it. Ones to spelling out errors by the driver and the organisation Good luck
thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/05/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#10 Posted : 03 May 2024 18:33:03(UTC)
Kate

For something to be a "major non-conformance" - in management system auditing terms - there has to be either a complete gap or breakdown in the control measures, or a series of smaller issues that have not been addressed.

Either way, it would not be the fault of a single operator (such as a forklift driver).

So what exactly is meant here by calling it a "major non-conformance" rather than, as it seems, an accident?

An accident should be investigated in exactly the way described by AK above.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/05/2024(UTC)
HSSnail  
#11 Posted : 07 May 2024 07:32:42(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Its a bit of a pain, but as im dyslexic i find if you cut your comment and then paste it back in there is a spell check. But it cannpte cope with parragraphs! (before)

Its a bit of a pain, but as i am dyslexic i find if you cut your comment and then paste it back in there is a spell check. But it cannot cope with paragraphs! (after)

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
M.cooper.99 on 07/05/2024(UTC)
MrBrightside  
#12 Posted : 07 May 2024 10:37:37(UTC)
MrBrightside

Google (other search engines available) HSG245, you will find a template in there to get you started. I know it varies from companies in terms of what is an NCR, Accident etc.

I would class this as an Incident, however thats just how my system works.

I created a single document for all investigation types (you will find this makes life easier) and if you can, recommend you do the same!

thanks 1 user thanked MrBrightside for this useful post.
M.cooper.99 on 07/05/2024(UTC)