Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mncwf1  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2024 08:15:27(UTC)
Mncwf1

Hi there,

Can someone tell me how long you are supposed to keep completed old FLT check sheets? Many thanks

PDarlow  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2024 08:52:30(UTC)
PDarlow

Hi,

Assuming you mean daily check sheets. Keep them until the next thorough examination is carried out. Then rinse and repeat. This means you should have no more than a years worth of paperwork clogging up space. Could be your thorough examinations are carried out every 6 months or more frequently.

thanks 1 user thanked PDarlow for this useful post.
Mncwf1 on 04/06/2024(UTC)
Mncwf1  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2024 08:56:43(UTC)
Mncwf1

Apologies, I did indeed mean those.

Many thanks for the speedy response. :-)

thanks 1 user thanked Mncwf1 for this useful post.
PDarlow on 04/06/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2024 15:00:09(UTC)
peter gotch

M

I think it would be wise to keep this information for somewhat longer, but with no hard and fast rule as to quite how long.

Suppose you have an accident on an FLT in three years' time. 

Your investigation may well be wishing to look at what has happened over a period of a year or more to see what the history of what is happening at the site has been.

If you have only one FLT then may be you need much longer to get a reasonable picture of what is going wrong and how quickly remedial actions than if you have 10 FLTs doing broadly similar tasks.

Suppose the history tells you that there are repeated problems with e.g. steering. You need to keep the corporate memory going UNTIL this problem has been put to bed to give you GENUINE confidence that it won't recur.

When I worked for HSE, I spent several hours interviewing a site foreman following a fatal accident. He seemed to be surprised that I started off the interview by asking about what had been happening at the very start of his time on site - eight months before the accident. Different part of the site but similar operations and I wanted to show a picture of repeated non-compliance over the whole period.

If you wash away the evidence, then the investigators SHOULD be expected to probe in much greater detail.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Kate on 04/06/2024(UTC), Mncwf1 on 05/06/2024(UTC)
Acorns  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2024 16:32:41(UTC)
Acorns

Consider a compromise and tweak of the above. Retain for min 13 months, so the ice through to the next thorough service, plus a month to avoid admin errors and check against any notices on the inspection Where an incident / claim has been reported, then retain the 13 months prior to the incident date, and seek advice if it is necessary to demonstrate retention post incident date. On balance, could be disproportionate to retain min 3+ years in the absence of a known or even an anticipated claim but as more and more are app based checks, so does the paper going get reduced and record keeping becomes easier

Edited by user 04 June 2024 16:34:06(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
Mncwf1 on 05/06/2024(UTC)
PDarlow  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2024 08:10:51(UTC)
PDarlow

Link form Fork Lift Truck Association:

https://fork-truck.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/FS28-Fork-Lift-Truck-Operator-Daily-Checks-vApril-20.pdf

Keep as long as you want but they suggest keep until next thorough examination - just to avoid any confusion.

thanks 1 user thanked PDarlow for this useful post.
Mncwf1 on 05/06/2024(UTC)
Mncwf1  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2024 08:53:51(UTC)
Mncwf1

Many thanks all. I remain impressed with the speed at which one can get assistance here!

I shall consider this topic closed now. Appreciate ya'll! :-)