Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pseudonym  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2024 08:53:23(UTC)
pseudonym

Hiya,

Some of my laboratory colleagues are getting excited about some potential future projects that may involve controlled drugs. Can anyone with expertise in this field kindly point me at the right sort of authoratative guidance so that I can temper their enthusiasm with a gentle dose cold reality. I don't want them running too far or fast with this idea, and wasting time an effort without knowing what the practical obstacles to working in this field really are.

Thanks in advance

P.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2024 10:16:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

They will need a Home Office Licence - there is an annual music festival near me which the organiser spent last year having a media rant that they could not test "drugs" because the operator they chose did not have a licence for the site and dates. 

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/06/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 06/06/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 06 June 2024 10:16:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

They will need a Home Office Licence - there is an annual music festival near me which the organiser spent last year having a media rant that they could not test "drugs" because the operator they chose did not have a licence for the site and dates. 

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/06/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 06/06/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2024 14:24:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/drugs-licensing

Fact sheets & guidance including security, transport, standard operating procedures

Happy Reading.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2024 14:24:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/drugs-licensing

Fact sheets & guidance including security, transport, standard operating procedures

Happy Reading.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2024 09:21:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

A bit more detail based on experience.

Firstly, who are you? If you are the Crown i.e. the direct civil  service, then you do not require a licence(you still need to take precautions, but less paperwork involved). Similarly if you work directly for the police there are exemptions. Everybody else will require some sort of licence.

The type of licence will depend on the Schedule the drugs you are using. (Note Schedule not Class- Class is defined in the Misuse of Drugs Act and tells the court how to punish people found in illegal possession or dealing in the different types of Controlled  Drugs). The different Schedules (in the Misuse of Drugs Regulations ) describe the various security measures for working with different types of CDs. The licence is issued by the Home office and will include:

• How the drugs are to be stored
  • Where they are to be stored( the licence applies to a particular building, not to the organisation as a whole)
  • that there is  a system of recording use of the drugs- you record each use of the drugs and need to be able account for any drugs.
  • And how you monitor the drugs and make sure they do not go missing.
  • There is also a requirement for a  disposal protocol  for the drugs when you no longer require them. Typically this needs to be witnessed by a pharmacist or police officer.

An inspector from the Home Office will visit to check out you are doing everything as per the licence.

thanks 5 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
pseudonym on 07/06/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 07/06/2024(UTC), M.cooper.99 on 07/06/2024(UTC), Andrew_C on 10/06/2024(UTC), ohreally on 10/06/2024(UTC)