Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peter gotch  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2024 15:09:46(UTC)
peter gotch

From Canada.......Construction supervisor fined $30,000 for worker's death | Canadian Occupational Safety (thesafetymag.com)

Quite surprised by the size of the fine which equates to about £17,000, so a big chunk out of their likely annual earnings.

Wondered whether this person might have been more senior than the article suggests but it seems not, as I can I identify the company that they were probaby working for as aubcontractor to the Main Contractor whose trial happens in a couple of weeks.

KaranIOSH  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2024 15:29:12(UTC)
KaranIOSH

Interesting, i would have thought the organisation would get the fine first. Maybe the worker wasn't qualified or competent for the job and this could have been overlooked by the supervisor. Could this be a new precedent or has this happened before?

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2024 15:49:26(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Karan

I don't know how sentencing guidelines work in Canada, but.....

In the UK, if a prosecution is taken against multiple defendants each of them has the opportunity (actually often opportunities) to plead guilty or opt for trial.

If one pleads guilty and one goes for trial it is up to the Judge (or equivaent) to decide how to progress with the guilty plea. 

So, they can pass sentence (as has happened with this defendant in Canada) or they could wait for other proceedings to conclude before passing sentences on those who have pleaded guilty or found guilty.

Relatively unlikely that either route will substantially impact the sentence on each defendant as that is based on THEIR circumstances and THEIR input into the overall scenario.

My instinct is that in the UK at present, the judiciary will be keen to close out cases as early as possible and not hold back on sentencing just because another defendant is going to trial - simply to prevent the backlog of cases getting even greater than it is.

Mirin  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2024 16:00:53(UTC)
Mirin

Peter , the accused seems to have been the work site superintendent which seems to involve overall management of the site including health and safety.

Date of conviction: September 24, 2024

Location of Offence: Calgary

Date of Offence: December 10, 2021

Type: Serious Incident

Description: A worker was completing roof work and removed plywood covering an opening, intending on accessing a work area concealed by the covering. As the cover was removed, the worker fell through the opening, falling a distance of 4.5 metres. The worker was seriously injured.

Conviction: Jeffrey Ryan Gross, being a work site superintendent, pleaded guilty to contravention of section 4(a)(i) of the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act, for failure to take all precautions necessary to protect the health and safety of the worker by failing to ensure that a temporary cover used to protect an opening or hole, had a warning or marking clearly indicating the nature of the hazard posted near or fixed to the cover, in accordance with section 314(3) of the OHS Code, contrary to section 4(a)(i) of the OHS Act. He was fined $30,000 inclusive of the 20 per cent victim fine surcharge.

All other charges were withdrawn against Jeffrey Ryan Gross.

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2024 16:19:29(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Mirin

As I read it this defendant was the Site SUPERVISOR for a labour only Contractor.

Which means that almost certainly the Main Contractor had at least one person at more senior level in charge of the site. 

However, even if this person was the Site MANAGER, if this were to have happened in the UK, first the prosecution of the individual would have been rare, and second the level of fine is high when you consider that you have to base the fine on their individual income.

Also, into the equation in the UK the actual outcome would be taken into account. Serious injury but NOT fatal.

In contrast, the twin companies (MB and MC to anonymise them slightly) with a contract with the Contractor for whom the defendant was working face trial both for this incident but also a fatal accident, where it appears this individual defendant was either not part of the picture or has had any charge dropped.

If for a moment we ignore prosecutions against individuals who are sole traders or Partners/Directors in very small businesses, most H&S prosecutions of individuals in the UK will be taken for breach of Section 7, or possibly Section 36 of HSWA.

The HSE prosecutions databases (current - last 12 months and "history" - 1-10 years) indicates that very few cases are taken under either of these Sections of HSWA, though I would note that a search on the history database will not give the full picture as most convictions on individuals would be "spent" after 5 years and the information on the database removed.

HSE - Register of prosecutions and notices

Search by BREACHES not default CASES.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2024 14:28:41(UTC)
chris42

Isn’t it correct though if a manager is negligent then they are prosecuted. The “I was just following orders” routine is just not good enough is it. Middle managers will never really take on board H&S if they don’t feel there would be any come back for their poor decisions. It seems the HSE don’t appear to have any appetite for this if Peter’s stats are correct.

Chris

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 08 October 2024 15:14:52(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris

Looks like HSE are losing such limited appetite that they had since I last did this search.

So....

Current prosecutions - up to a year ago (though with a 9 week lag before entry on to the database to allow for appeals and such like). Section 7 - ONE defendant, Section 36 - NIL

History database - NIL return for both Section 7 or Section 36.

There are other ways that an individual can appear on these databases, so the big bosses could be taken into Court via Section 37 which does bring up some hits on the History database (though with some data entry issues evident as most of the defendant are limited companies who would not normally be Directors of other limited companies).

...or manslaughter cases, or where specific Codes of Regulations have a parallel to Section 7.

But Sections 7 or 36 would be expected to be the usual route.

I do think that HSE takes far too few cases against individuals, particularly Directors and senior managers in small companies where it should be relatively straight forward to link an offence to a "controlling mind" or similar person.

The individual could face prison or community service. A limited company can only be fined and it would not be difficult for a Director of a small company to fold that, avoid the fine and start up under a different company name.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2024 20:23:36(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

The individual could face prison or community service. A limited company can only be fined and it would not be difficult for a Director of a small company to fold that, avoid the fine and start up under a different company name.

Hi Peter

Ah yes, the good old phoenix company.

Interesting stats, I wonder if the HSE see no value in going after individuals.  By value I do mean it as they don’t get the cash in. Do they have to demonstrate they earn their keep.

Mirin  
#9 Posted : 09 October 2024 09:51:10(UTC)
Mirin

https://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/100-199/130_8.htm

hse official view on criteria for prosecuting individuals and their roles. Does suggest individuals  being prosecuted will be rare. Slightly off topic I heard yesterday that hse Field operations division now has a separate investigation division. Anyone know anything about this ?

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2024 10:24:01(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris, I guess that the downturn in prosecutions against individuals has mostly been a reflection of a downturn in all HSE front line activitiy incuding the number of prosecutions taken and notices servced.. A predictable output of cut after cut to HSE's funding.

With a downturn in prosecutions just possibly also being linked to where the money goes. Any fine goes to the Treasury. Any money from less severe enforcement via Fee For Intervention helps to top up HSE's coffers.

Hi Mirin

Not heard of any suggestion that FOD should operate a dedicated investigations unit. I think it would be a retrograde step as those in such a unit would lose touch with what is happening more broadly and those on the front line would not be getting experience of one important aspect of the job. PLUS an Inspector can being doing a typical inspection AND an investigation at the same time. Can help both aspects of the job.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
chris42 on 11/10/2024(UTC), HSSnail on 14/10/2024(UTC)
HSSnail  
#11 Posted : 14 October 2024 12:33:26(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Mirin Go to Quoted Post

https://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/100-199/130_8.htm

hse official view on criteria for prosecuting individuals and their roles. Does suggest individuals  being prosecuted will be rare. Slightly off topic I heard yesterday that hse Field operations division now has a separate investigation division. Anyone know anything about this ?

Was speaking with an HSE inspector, i worked with a lot just last week. Hes now retired as have most of my peers, but he did say FOD was reverting to an old way of working - that had not worked last time. Did not go into details.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 14/10/2024(UTC)