Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Davidfilce  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2024 07:39:56(UTC)
Davidfilce

My routine when purchasing a new tool for our Engineering staff is to assess the HAV exposure on receipt.

To do this we have the HSE calculator and the manufacturer's data.

On calculating the HAV for a half inch impact wrench the new HSE calculator has a drop down box including "Impact wrenches (3/8" to 3/4" drive) automatically giving a magnitude of 5 m/s2. EAV 2hrs and ELV 8hrs

However, the tool user manual indicates 12 m/s2, with an EAV of 20mins and ELV of 1hr 23m

This is a significant difference which, if using the HSE data, could expose staff to HAV risks, unless of course, the HSE data is better for such a calculation than the manufacturer's data

Which way is best to go? Would the HSE data be legally defensible in the case of an HAV-based prosecution? My gut feeling is to stick with the manufacturer's data. It is tool specific as opposed to the HSE's general approach, it is the worst option and therefore if controlled at that level of trigger time will be defensible.

My assumption is that I am actually using the calculator correctly too.

We are not in a position to have the on-tool or on-wrist HAV devices, so we are reliant on the data provided

Any advice welcome

Edited by user 17 October 2024 07:40:27(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2024 08:17:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I only use HSE default values where I cannot ascertain any actual manufacturer information, and then with a degree of caution.

Within any "average" numbers there are always outliers in the data - the very low and the very high.

The fact the supplier has stated a high value in comparison to the HSE numbers is part of the intention of the calculator - you don't buy products with excessive exposure.

If we all choose at the lower exposure end over time the median value will be pulled down. Incrimenatal Safety.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Davidfilce on 17/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 17/10/2024(UTC), Davidfilce on 17/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 17/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2024 08:17:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I only use HSE default values where I cannot ascertain any actual manufacturer information, and then with a degree of caution.

Within any "average" numbers there are always outliers in the data - the very low and the very high.

The fact the supplier has stated a high value in comparison to the HSE numbers is part of the intention of the calculator - you don't buy products with excessive exposure.

If we all choose at the lower exposure end over time the median value will be pulled down. Incrimenatal Safety.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Davidfilce on 17/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 17/10/2024(UTC), Davidfilce on 17/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 17/10/2024(UTC)
KeziahFrost20010206  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2024 08:51:04(UTC)
KeziahFrost20010206

I always go with the manufacuter data, their the ones who have created and tested the products. HSE's is probably a generic number, covering a general impact wrench. You probably know yourself, two of the same drills from different manufacturers (example: Dewalt & Milwaukee) could have different vibration levels. 

Before purchasing a tool or piece of equipment with either a noise or vibration aspect I check the manuals provided and use the HSE calculator to see if it's appropriate or not. Any tool which I can find data on, you could use the HSE number, but air on the side of caution, we dont know where HSE would've sourced this value from. 

I'd stick to what you are doing and use the manufacturer's data, and if it shows that it takes an hour to reach the exposure values in place, ensure there adequate controls and a detailed RA showing how to control / keep exposure to a minimum. 

thanks 2 users thanked KeziahFrost20010206 for this useful post.
Davidfilce on 17/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 17/10/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2024 16:51:42(UTC)
Kate

Only to add, why wait for receipt to do this - it would be better as part of the equipment selection before purchase.