Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jameson  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2012 09:49:00(UTC)
Jameson

I am disabled and I have a mobility aid that runs by battery, I rent an adapted property and I have been informed that I can not charge my scooter batteries inside the property due to the risk of fire under the HSE guidelines, can anyone possibly tell me what the procedure is ? Or no what the guiltless are ?
SBH  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2012 10:08:00(UTC)
SBH

I would refer to your maintenance manual and perform regular maintenance. Charge the unit in a well ventilated roomy area and off any evacuation route.I am unaware of any guidance from the hse on this issue Ask to see the literature, if it exists. In my view the risk is low, and as its your home you can continue.

SBH
HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2012 10:17:56(UTC)
HSSnail

Jameson

I echo SBH where is the work activity for HSE guidelines to apply?

Who's as told you this is it your land lord or insurance company? It may or may not be good advice I'm not sure about the size of the battery's you use and if there more like my lap top or a FLT.

This link to hse guidance on recharging batteries may help

http://books.hse.gov.uk/...atalogueCode=INDG139REV1
the publication is Using electric storage batteries safely. INDG139REV1
but again this is designed for the workplace not the home.
Tigers  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2012 10:19:02(UTC)
Tigers

Can I suggest you ask your local Fire Brigade as some of their policies are local.
This goes back to a case a couple of years ago when a faulty battery casued a fire in a communal area of a block of flats according to our local Brigade.
firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2012 10:36:45(UTC)
firesafety101

http://www.esfrs.org/bla...ilityScooter.shtml#cause

The battery charging was not the cause of this fire.

Try searching on the net for fires involving mobility scooter charging - you will be amazed.
Kate  
#6 Posted : 28 February 2012 10:47:53(UTC)
Kate

The HSE certainly won't have any guidelines for this, as this kind of issue is nothing to do with them. So challenge this by asking whoever has told you this to show you or give you a reference to these HSE guidelines. They won't be able to and their bluff will be called.
firesafety101  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2012 10:49:59(UTC)
firesafety101

If you own the property then no problem.

If a housing association or similar there will be local rules written by the association or landlord etc.
HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2012 11:02:21(UTC)
HSSnail

Firesafety101 - did what you suggested very interesting, but all the info appears to be aim at multy occupied premises and the fire risk assessment for communal areas, Good advice in a private dwelling but enforceable? Our local newspaper has just run a story on 2 fires being caused by charging laptops. Any battery charging can be an issue are mobility scooters any worse than anything else?
Tigers  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2012 13:09:58(UTC)
Tigers

Firesafety 101: Perhaps this was the case the local brigade were referring to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...lincolnshire/6581027.stm

It was a while ago since they were talking about it.
firesafety101  
#10 Posted : 28 February 2012 13:30:04(UTC)
firesafety101

tigers thanks for finding that one, I'm sure there are many more.

"A fire service spokesperson said the fire was caused by an electrical fault to the charger which charges up the mobility scooters.

Three of the scooters were severely damaged along with the charging room, dining room and foyer."

I wonder if the charger was overloaded charging more than one scooter?

Perhaps the charging room may have needed a one hour fire protection compartment?

I have a scooter myself and charge the battery in my porch. It does come out of the scooter.

bob youel  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2012 13:51:39(UTC)
bob youel

Additionally 'reasonable adjustment' must be allowed for so that is another angle that you may be able to come from

And open your windows and doors so far as you can to release any fumes that may be generated and keep an eye on your electrical system [plugs etc] to ensure that they do not overheat
Tigers  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2012 14:17:21(UTC)
Tigers

As with most equipment hopefully the hazards are reduced with subsequent versions of equipment having extra controls.
peter gotch  
#13 Posted : 09 August 2022 12:07:14(UTC)
peter gotch

Is Andrw2s a pseudonym for Rip Van Winkel who has been asleep for 10 years?