Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mike52  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2012 17:25:44(UTC)
mike52

This may seem like a strange question, but from what I have read in other threads there seems to be no formal route for CPD. For example I have read members staing that they are awarding themselves CPD point for something as simple as reading a report, or writing an assessment. My question is therefore if members are awarding themselves these points how do they prove they have done this and how do you evaluate the worth of these points. I accept that I may have missed something about the CPD requirements? how do the points relate to the CPD? I apologise if this sounds rather abiguous. Thanks Mike
JohnW  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2012 19:20:29(UTC)
JohnW

Mike, I think with CPD what is expected is that if you have learned something then award yourself points, whether it is from preparing/completing an occupational health project, preparing/delivering a toolbox talk, reading/studying an ACoP, or just reading an issue of SHP :o) The expectation I think is that most users are professionals and will use CPD honestly and responsibly. There is some auditing occurring, apparently, and I'm sure some folk get challenged on what they've entered. I once awarded myself a point after contributing to an interesting thread on this forum :o))
Argyll  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2012 03:48:55(UTC)
Argyll

Hello Mike, If you send me a PM and include your email address in it, I will send you a variety of documents IOSH sent me explaining the ins and outs of the CPD process... Regards, Argyll
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2012 09:37:27(UTC)
HSSnail

I think the CPD guidance is quite clear. You have to be able to show a learning outcome for claiming points from reading a report, simply reading it is not enough. Not sure I could justify a point from contributing to a single thread, but reading SHP, and contributing to the forum in general is part of my development plan. What ever you put you have to be able to justify, random people are picked each year to be audited. It happened to my friend the other year and he was in a bit of a panic because he could not find some attendance certificates for some training sessions he had claimed. Fortunately he was able to get replacements.
Heather Collins  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2012 11:11:15(UTC)
Heather Collins

Mike may not be able to see these responses since it appears from his profile that he may not be a member and this is now in the members' only forum...
Moderator 2  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2012 11:12:35(UTC)
Moderator 2

Well spotted, Heather. We will have to move it back!
Zimmy  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2013 11:24:29(UTC)
Zimmy

I don't like the idea at all to be honest, It seems a bit daft. It's a bit like a self inflicted pat of the back. I would rather take the odd exam. A bit like someone calling themselves an electrician when in fact they have spent a week in the library. I have given myself points for setting up took-box-talks and all that jazz but am still unhappy about things. As for a point for posting here... Oh well! I must have loads of credit then as I'm constantly reading up on something, either electrical or H&S. At the moment I'm setting up talks on accident investigations by taking a picture and writing up a scenario (Looks good too if anyone would like a copy to rip to shreds) There has to be a better way.
KieranD  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2013 12:17:44(UTC)
KieranD

In relation to Zimmy's observation, 'There has to be a better way', no doubt the IOSH, the Privy Council and the Health & Care Professions Council would love to know what it is. Presenting reasonable evidence of 'developing' is par for the course in professional societies which choose to petition for the honour of chartered status and to adopt it once granted. Several societies have stumbled more than once because of lack of evidence that a sufficient proportion of corporate members were presenting evidence of 'developing', to a standard acceptable to the civil servants advising the Privy Council (and to the deep and prolonged dismay of members of Council of the societies involved.) No doubt if a sufficient proportion of IOSH Members and Fellows were to petition to let go of chartered status, the duty to present evidence of 'developing' would no longer be a source of bother or of stimulation. The 'open framework' design for CPD originates from the research on the 'reflective practitioner', in which what is valued and acknowledged is quality of reflective output rather than routine inputs into 'developing'. My own CPD records have been audited not only by the IOSH but also by two other professional societies and none have made unreasonable demands.
Zimmy  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2013 15:08:57(UTC)
Zimmy

If I have this correct then, I have no need to sit formal exams just 'reflect' ? Forgive me being a little thick here but to gain 'Chartered' status What do I do next? I envisaged a few more exams? Rob
CliveLowery  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2013 15:24:42(UTC)
CliveLowery

As I understand it CPD is only part of the route to becoming Chartered. Depending on the route you take ie; NVQ, NEBOSH DiP, BSC Dip, Degree you will have to undertake IPD and a peer review, you may also have to sit the open book exam. It is probably best to ring the membership department direct and ask them, they are very helpful and will advise there and then. Regarding the CPD side of the origianal post - your CPD can be audited at any time during the 3 year cycle to make sure you are doing what is expected and will be audited prior to your Peer review. At the end of the day it is in the title "Continual Development", if you feel you have gained from a particular activity then write down your reflections or reasoning and award yourself the points. If as I have found you do not feel you gained anything from an activity - still write down your reflections but don't award points. There is an element of trust. Regards Clive
Zimmy  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2013 15:26:43(UTC)
Zimmy

Cheers Clive
Heather Collins  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2013 11:09:05(UTC)
Heather Collins

zimmy wrote:
If I have this correct then, I have no need to sit formal exams just 'reflect' ? Forgive me being a little thick here but to gain 'Chartered' status What do I do next? I envisaged a few more exams? Rob
Try reading the membership pages? http://www.iosh.co.uk/membership.aspx All the detail you need is there. And yes you are right, there's a tiny bit more to it than "a self-inflicted pat on the back" ;-)
MrH&S  
#13 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:12:12(UTC)
MrH&S

I totally agree heather, Also FYI I have been speaking to IOSH just before Xmas & now there is no 3 year cycle your CPD is continuous. Also there are changes with your IPD & your peer review interview Please contact IOSH as the details are not online as yet Regards MrH&S
Zimmy  
#14 Posted : 06 January 2013 10:59:36(UTC)
Zimmy

Oh well, it seems that I'm to old to go any further down the line re H&S. 60 in June so will start the slow wind-down into the fog of of old age :-) Tech IOSH it is then (prob the best thing to happen to IOSH for years. Thanks all :-) Rob
chris42  
#15 Posted : 06 January 2013 13:56:33(UTC)
chris42

Sorry to tell you this Zimmy, but I think you are supposed to work until you drop, so no retirement. You just as well continue on the Road to CMIOSH, as they say if you can't beat them, join them.
Zimmy  
#16 Posted : 06 January 2013 18:42:24(UTC)
Zimmy

Thanks for cheering me up in my hour of need Chris :-)
chris42  
#17 Posted : 07 January 2013 09:11:47(UTC)
chris42

You would not have wanted it sugar coated would you Zimmy. I had some issues over the standard of CPD a while ago and from people responses and thinking about it, it could not really be any other way. Everyone is at a different stage in their career knowledge, so one cap does not fit all. If someone has learnt something then that is the aim, regardless of the source. To brighten your day, your conversation with the man from NICEIC is probably worth a point, despite your exasperation of the issue. Every cloud and all that jazz.
Zimmy  
#18 Posted : 07 January 2013 10:15:40(UTC)
Zimmy

Thanks Chris and I'll stick with it :-)