Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BernDaley  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2013 15:04:39(UTC)
BernDaley

I am revising our H&S management systems & I am trying to define the various relationships in terms of H&S responsibilities. What in your view is the difference between a supplier & a contractor especially in terms of supplying workforce? For example: XX supply operator for MEWP: supplier or contractor? Maintenance company: supplier or contractor? Statutory inspection company: supplier or contractor? I cannot seem to get a clear picture of who is who...
Kate  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2013 15:09:38(UTC)
Kate

A supplier supplies goods and a contractor performs services. Any kind of labour is a service, not goods (unless you are purchasing slaves), so I'd say all of these are contractors.
bilbo  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2013 15:45:22(UTC)
bilbo

And then again...... the arrangement for the provision of a service may be by contract.
Jake  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2013 16:15:36(UTC)
Jake

This is not going to answer your question.... But, why get bogged down in the minutia? You could just referred to these people as "3rd parties", presumably the health and safety arrangements would be the same regardless if you label them a supplier or contractor (in the example you provide).
SteveL  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2013 16:17:23(UTC)
SteveL

If we supply labour or plant on day work only then we are a supplier. If we do works that require we supply labour materials and plant on price work then we are a contractor.
BernDaley  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2013 16:24:19(UTC)
BernDaley

Bit more info: 2 companies. Trying to separate them in terms of H&S so they can stand independently. Employees from one company operate for the other one. I am trying to ensure that H&S responsibilities are clearly define not a grey area. Might be going into too much details but at the moment staff swap from one to the other without any clear definition of responsibilities.
chas  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2013 16:25:47(UTC)
chas

This may muddy the waters a bit, but does much not depend on whether the contract you have with your 3rd party is a 'contract of service', or a 'contract for service'. The difference in wording is small but the legal difference can be very significant in terms of responsibility/accountibility.
SteveL  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2013 16:37:54(UTC)
SteveL

The difference between the two is who has control over what they do. If you control they are suppliers if they control they are contractors