Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blackhut  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2014 15:23:56(UTC)
blackhut

All We are currently undertaking the Principal Contractor Role on a relatively complex Civil Engineering contract. The Client has asked us to employ a contractor who they have used in the past for a major package within the project. The Contractor is based in the Irish Republic, what differences will I encounter between the 2 countries Health and Safety Legislation specifically regarding CDM etc. Will organisations within the Irish republic be required to have a written safety Policy if they employ more than 5 ? etc etc
jontyjohnston  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2014 15:27:52(UTC)
jontyjohnston

Pretty much the same requirements for both ROI and UK, I work in both. regards CDM, in the ROI its the 2013 Construction Regs (abbreviated). These require the Client to appoint a Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP) which is the equivalent of CDM-C. Same requirements regards designers, main contractors etc, only other difference is Client requirement to appoint Project Supervisor Construction Stage (PSCS) for coordination etc. Employers in ROI have to produce a safety statement, similar to the 1974 Act requirement for Safety Policy.
wobblemouth  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2014 16:16:55(UTC)
wobblemouth

I would say that they requirements are similar but not the same. You should have a look at the HSA's guidance documents: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Your_Industry/Construction/ You should also familairse yourself with the necessary forms, e.g. Notification Form AF2, Work at Height Inspections GA3, etc.