Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Gym
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
9Yally  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2014 14:50:45(UTC)
9Yally

Has anyone done any Health and safety work for a gym. I am going to write them up some risk assessments and create some inspection documents. RA wise I was just going to to the standard manual handling, testing and maintenance of gym equipment, slips trip, emergency procedures etc. In addition create a inspection check list which details each machine and checks required for the actual workplace. They already have inductions in place for new joiners. Does anyone have any experience in gym health and safety? any advice ?
jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2014 14:54:10(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Hello, I think if you put in a search for gym ra's I think I commented on a thread regarding this topic- that might be of some help to you? Jodie
DHM  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2014 15:11:27(UTC)
DHM

PM me if you like? I have some changing room RA's that can be used in a gym, swimming pool environment.
9Yally  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2014 15:54:51(UTC)
9Yally

jodieclark1510 wrote:
Hello, I think if you put in a search for gym ra's I think I commented on a thread regarding this topic- that might be of some help to you? Jodie
Thank you Jodie, I will have a look now. DHM PM sent!
SW  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2014 11:50:42(UTC)
SW

Emphasis on the gym to provide a good quality induction and supervision I recall many years ago a gym getting prosecuted when a gym user raised the bike seat too high, it snapped or bucked, user went forward and injured themselves. Gym "should have provided better supervision" or something similar in the class which was being held at the time
9Yally  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2014 11:04:01(UTC)
9Yally

SW wrote:
Emphasis on the gym to provide a good quality induction and supervision I recall many years ago a gym getting prosecuted when a gym user raised the bike seat too high, it snapped or bucked, user went forward and injured themselves. Gym "should have provided better supervision" or something similar in the class which was being held at the time
Just a quick question, the gym has a waiver on the joining form for an induction, meaning the new gym user can say they do not want a induction and sign for it. Is this acceptable? I have also seen this in one of the very large gym chains, albeit a few years ago
David Bannister  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2014 11:21:51(UTC)
David Bannister

9Yally wrote:
Just a quick question, the gym has a waiver on the joining form for an induction, meaning the new gym user can say they do not want a induction and sign for it. Is this acceptable? I have also seen this in one of the very large gym chains, albeit a few years ago
I would advise that all new users should be provided with an induction, regardless of prior experience at other gyms. The equipment may be different, the environment will be different and the gym operator has no real way of determining the new user's level of knowledge or ability. It's a bit like a FLT driver starting at a new site - they may be able to recognise the equipment but have no knowledge of the site, its peculiarities or any differences or modifications in the trucks. They too will need an induction.
SW  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2014 11:43:35(UTC)
SW

Hmm not really sure if the waiver is really acceptable but I am with David Bannister's thinking on this and do the induction.
9Yally  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2014 11:57:19(UTC)
9Yally

David Bannister wrote:
9Yally wrote:
I would advise that all new users should be provided with an induction, regardless of prior experience at other gyms. The equipment may be different, the environment will be different and the gym operator has no real way of determining the new user's level of knowledge or ability. It's a bit like a FLT driver starting at a new site - they may be able to recognise the equipment but have no knowledge of the site, its peculiarities or any differences or modifications in the trucks. They too will need an induction.
Many thanks for both of your replies. I have the same opinion as both of you regarding the induction should be carried out, however does anyone know the legal standing of the waiver ? logically it must hold some weight if the large gym chains have a waiver system, surly someone would have sued them by now and the reaction would have been to induct individuals. Saying that though she I joined one of the larger chains owned by Mr Branston, I was allowed to use the gym before my induction.