Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrea14  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2015 15:10:53(UTC)
Andrea14

Need a little help here as fire safety is not my specialty. I was wondering how many fire escapes would be required for a small gym, internal building size is 20m by 25m, there is currently one exit door and one roller door (the premises were previously occupied by a flag manufacturer). I have calculated fire risk as low, considering potential hazards and risks, the number of people on the premises at any one time will be low (max 10).There will be a female and male changing room, a small office and private staff kitchen. These internal areas are situated to the left of the exit door. The majority of the remaining space will have weight lifting equipment plus a small track to be situation along one side of the building in front of the roller door (which is beside the exit door). Smoke detectors are to be fitted in all rooms. Having looked at firs risk assessment and precaution information, I am of the opinion that a second exit may be required, as the calculation of travel direct from the furthest part of the building to the current exit is approximately 30m. I would be grateful if anyone can give me some further insight to this matter.
SBH  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2015 15:22:09(UTC)
SBH

2 would be the best practice as there should always be one exit available, and the 30m distance you quote even in small risk areas is just a little to far. SBH
Andrea14  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2015 15:37:05(UTC)
Andrea14

SBH Thank you for your response. A second exit could be created at the far end of the space in the corner. However, steps will be required to access an exit door, as the land on the other side of the building is higher than the internal level. The builder proposed steps of wooden construction, would this be acceptable under the circumstances?
firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2015 18:41:15(UTC)
firesafety101

Without seeing the premises it is hard to rcommend anything but I note you have done your fire risk assessment. I am always looking to have an alternative fire exit, even in the smallest premises and your travel distance has to take into account all equipment and being unable to walk in a straight line. Steps up to an exit door may be okay for your normal users but any wheelchair users will have to be considered. Timber is OK but ensire they are away from fire hazards and combustibles, especially anything that may fall between the steps and accumilate underneath. Do you have emergncy lighting and fire alarm?
Patrick  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2015 07:22:49(UTC)
Patrick

Check out BS 9999, it has a few easy to follow tables which will spell out what you need, its also handy when documenting your findings in a risk assessment to mention you used it as a guide just to keep yourself right.
Andrea14  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2015 14:04:21(UTC)
Andrea14

Thanks for your help everyone, your comments are much appreciated. You've confirmed my thoughts. There is a fire alarm and smoke detectors are to be fitted. As it's a small gym, with membership by invitation only, at the moment there are no wheelchair users. If this changes in the future the premises will require alteration.
dennish  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2015 07:30:46(UTC)
dennish

Others have said BS9999 is a good document for travel distance and consider the equipment and how that will effect. Could the roller door not be utilised in any way with some adjustments has an alternative means of escape ? (difficult without seeing premises lay out).
mssy  
#8 Posted : 07 November 2015 08:31:34(UTC)
mssy

FireSafety101 wrote:
I am always looking to have an alternative fire exit, even in the smallest premises
Blimey! Really??? I hope you don't advertise this on your website or mention this on your CV!!! There are tens of thousands of premises that safely use one final exit and others that simply cannot have a second exit due to the design or historic nature of the building, the low risk, or simply the cost. I was going to ask you to a FRA for me involving a portacabin, but I am not so sure now :) :)
PIKEMAN  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2015 13:30:43(UTC)
PIKEMAN

I know that fire risk assessment involves making judgments, however I note that many people make prescriptive statements without backing this up with any references to support it. For instance, I believe, that a room with more then 60 people, above ground floor level, requires a second exit, and this comes from approved Doc B. Am I correct, or, does it come down to interpretation and judgement?