Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeeBrown2015  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2016 10:27:20(UTC)
LeeBrown2015

Hi All, I am the sole Health and Safety practitioner for my company and in all honesty my duties do not take up all of my working week as we are a usually a sub-sub contractor working on only 4 - 5 construction sites in close proximity to each other so I often find myself helping out with other duties. I have had a discussion with my Director about taking on a Quality Management role as well as my health and safety duties but we are not entirely sure where to start. We have just sorted our CHAS, Safe Contractor and Greenlight accreditation, We would now like to gain ISO 9001. Does anyone have any recommendations on courses or the best course of action to take as an introduction to this role and get us on our way to getting accredited in this area too? We are hoping this will not only look good on paper but also help us as a growing company make our procedures and processes more efficient. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Your thoughts and advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Lee
LeeBrown2015  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2016 12:02:42(UTC)
LeeBrown2015

I heard being assigned both roles was fairly popular in some organisations, does no one have any experience with this then?
WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2016 12:24:10(UTC)
WatsonD

Have you tried looking on their website? It will tell you what you need to know and also offer some training options. http://www.bsigroup.com/...tification-for-ISO-9001/ You could pay someone to help you to achieve this, but is you want to make this your role then my advice is save the money and learn as you go.
chris42  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2016 15:41:24(UTC)
chris42

Yes I also have duel? roles and have put ISO9001 & ISO14001 into two companies and 18001 into one. To be honest I only went on an internal auditor course which was more about auditing than the standard. I had a copy of the standard and read through it a few times. It is not just a list of things to do, as some of the clauses impact on others ie Document control. I then went and asked every manager in the company what they and their teams did, I made copious notes. I then copied the standard into a spreadsheet to create a gap analysis tool. I went through each clause and thought about what I had been told and how that might satisfy the requirements of the clauses. I was then just left with the gaps to sort. Do not try and reinvent the wheel, if the company does something that meets the requirement of the clause then all good. I bet your company has a process of what to do if you screw up - well that is a NCR procedure etc, just write it down. I then wrote up the main stepping stones of each managers /director notes into flow chart type procedures, ensuring I covered the specific parts of the standard where appropriate (used their terminology a bit too). I tried to ensure that outputs from one procedure were inputs to another. Procedures given back to Managers / Directors and asked is this correct. They all became owners of their own procedures, which could not change unless I ok’ed it (so nothing required by standard was removed). So – Buy Standard – Read and again – find out about all elements of company – do gap analysis – put in place anything missing - write it down and link together as appropriate - Audit yourself ( ie company). Part with shed loads of money (company not you) on external auditors. Easy Chris
Arpita Dey  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2024 10:19:41(UTC)
Arpita Dey

Hi Lee,

It's great that you're considering expanding into a Quality Management role. For ISO 9001 accreditation, I recommend exploring training programs by reputable organizations like the International Register of Certificated Auditors (IRCA) or the Chartered Quality Institute (CQI). These courses can provide comprehensive insights into ISO 9001 requirements and implementation strategies. Additionally, networking with professionals who have undergone similar transitions can offer valuable practical advice. Best of luck in enhancing your company's efficiency!

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2024 12:42:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

resurrected 2016 post to hyperlink - reported

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 23/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/01/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2024 12:42:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

resurrected 2016 post to hyperlink - reported

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 23/01/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 23/01/2024(UTC)