Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eoin  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2016 22:24:50(UTC)
eoin

Can anyone point me in the direction of news that all asbestos cement roofs have to removed by 2018. It was mentioned today but not something I was aware of . Thank you
Graham Bullough  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2016 00:21:44(UTC)
Graham Bullough

eoin From what sort of person or other source did the suggestion about asbestos cement roofs come? Someone who removes such roofs and is trying to drum up new business perhaps?!! If a requirement to remove such roofs by (say end of) 2018 does exist, it gives just over 2 years for the removal of what are probably hundreds of acres of asbestos cement roofs on warehouses, agricultural buildings and other commercial buildings plus countless domestic garages and sheds, etc. throughout the UK. Also, I guess that such work, including the installation of replacement roofs, would be very expensive and also demanding as regards necessary precautions including considerations about work at height and exposure to asbestos fibres which could be released by such work. Furthermore, does the UK have sufficient numbers of companies which are capable of carrying out such work safely and effectively within such a finite period of time? For all these reasons I am highly sceptical that such a requirement exists. Graham B
will hampson  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2016 00:27:29(UTC)
will hampson

Hi Eoin where was it mentioned? i could only find international news on asbestos ban 2018. not UK based. Sri Lanka: on August 13, President Maithripala Sirisena announced that consultations were underway regarding plans to ban the import of asbestos roofing sheets by 2018. have a look at http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/news.htm http://www.aic.org.uk/asbestos-cement-faqs/ for further info. sure someone on here will be able to help you more than i can. hope that helps will
eoin  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2016 06:58:36(UTC)
eoin

Thank you both for your replies.....it was indeed mentioned during discussions for replacement workshop roofs....I had heard nothing of such a plan and thought the 2 year window to remove all asbestos cement roof sheets was far too small . Panic over....thank you.
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2016 09:23:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Next time someone (trying to drum up business usually) says something is going to be banned, outlawed or otherwise criminalised usually within the next 6 months, why don’t people challenge them and ask exactly which piece of legislation the person is on about. I am talking legislation, not guidance; suggestion from the guild of dodgy suppliers or letters column of the Beano (read Daily mail). Actual legislation published by the government. That will probably shut them up and save you time and worry
chris42  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2016 09:43:09(UTC)
chris42

quote=A Kurdziel]Next time someone (trying to drum up business usually) says something is going to be banned, outlawed or otherwise criminalised usually within the next 6 months, why don’t people challenge them and ask exactly which piece of legislation the person is on about. I am talking legislation, not guidance; suggestion from the guild of dodgy suppliers or letters column of the Beano (read Daily mail). Actual legislation published by the government. That will probably shut them up and save you time and worry
It's fun to watch the cocky expression on their face disappear when you do it too. They normally repeat the rubbish they just spouted, then get a bit tongue tied, them mumble about HQ, then promise to get you the info, then disappear as if by magic never to be seen again. Even more fun if you have an audience of other employees ! PS I'd rather read the Beano
descarte8  
#7 Posted : 01 September 2016 12:58:34(UTC)
descarte8

Try: http://forum.iosh.co.uk/...spx?g=posts&t=121424 and; http://forum.iosh.co.uk/...spx?g=posts&t=116526 Dont worry, post Brexit, it wont affect us now anyway ;-)
eoin  
#8 Posted : 01 September 2016 18:05:17(UTC)
eoin

Descarte8 - Having briefly read it I think that is the very piece that was being referred too during the conversation, just a few years out - I will read this in full this evening. Thank you I did ask where this reference was coming from but the reply was a bit vague and I wasn't aware of it. Anyway thanks again
Stern  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2016 16:31:27(UTC)
Stern

I work for a licenced asbestos contractor. A few months back there was a news story of a cross-party group of MPs who proposed that all asbestos be removed from all public buildings by the year 20XX. Naturally this got our MD very excited! I've not heard anything else about it since and it's a long way off being law!
Graham Bullough  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2016 09:00:52(UTC)
Graham Bullough

Stern - In response to your recollection at #9 have a look at http://www.safesurveys.i...Asbestos_bill_paper.docx which summarises why the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Occupational Safety and Health at Westminster seeks legislation to require the removal of all asbestos which remains in place across Britain, i.e. in all buildings not just public buildings. The above link was included in an e-mail to all IOSH members in August 2015 from Richard Jones, Head of Policy and Public Affairs at IOSH HQ along with a short questionnaire asking whether or not IOSH should support the Parliamentary Group's aim regarding asbestos. Feedback about the survey results does not appear to be readily available on the IOSH website. Therefore, I hope that this will prompt a response with such information or at least a link to where it can be read. For what it was worth, my own response to the survey was that the Parliament Group's aim was highly commendable but far from reasonably practicable. The reasons for this view include the following: i) it would involve a vast number of buildings of many different types and in almost countless ownerships. ii) the sheer scale and complexity of work required by many organisations, companies and individuals to a) effectively identify asbestos containing materials (ACMs) and b) remove them would be astronomically expensive and also technically difficult, and iii) such work could result in greater exposure to asbestos than that which occurs under the current approach of managing ACMs. In summary this approach consists of ensuring that ACMs (including suspected ACMs) in buildings are in good condition, suitably sealed where necessary and are not disturbed unless there is good reason to remove them and only with appropriate stringent precautions. Graham B
johnmurray  
#11 Posted : 10 September 2016 09:47:12(UTC)
johnmurray

A Kurdziel wrote:
Next time someone (trying to drum up business usually) says something is going to be banned, outlawed or otherwise criminalised usually within the next 6 months, why don’t people challenge them and ask exactly which piece of legislation the person is on about. I am talking legislation, not guidance; suggestion from the guild of dodgy suppliers or letters column of the Beano (read Daily mail). Actual legislation published by the government. That will probably shut them up and save you time and worry
I find your equating of The Beano with the daily mail offensive. One gives loads of enjoyment to readers, the other.....
eoin  
#12 Posted : 10 September 2016 20:02:54(UTC)
eoin

Thanks for more information.
Adams29600  
#13 Posted : 12 September 2016 10:24:55(UTC)
Adams29600

How many businesses would this destroy. I have just left a manufacturing business with a huge array of large buildings erected in 1950's, 1960s and 1970s. We did have a big asbestos issue a couple of years ago and as part of that resolution, I was tasked with costing the removal of asbestos from site. The cement sheet alone (walls and roofs) came out at circa £11M and that did not take into account replacing the building cladding, simply removing and disposing. So whilst it is an ideal situation to remove asbestos from all premises, it is also an easy way to close businesses and move them overseas as I don't suppose the people imposing the law would be too keen for the taxpayer to foot the bill.
roche  
#14 Posted : 29 November 2023 14:22:34(UTC)
roche

I tried the links in the main post but looks like the website has shut down :(

roche  
#15 Posted : 29 November 2023 14:26:08(UTC)
roche

Managed to find an alternative resource regarding asbestos cement, for those interested https://www.asbestos-sampling.com/pages/asbestos-cement

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 29 November 2023 16:57:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why is the post being exhumed?

Roundtuit  
#17 Posted : 29 November 2023 16:57:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

Why is the post being exhumed?

A Kurdziel  
#18 Posted : 30 November 2023 09:41:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

it does contain one of my best lines!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 30/11/2023(UTC)
peter gotch  
#19 Posted : 30 November 2023 12:26:27(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Roundtuit, TBH I thought that there might be a hidden link in the first contribution by a newbie to the Forums but I couldn't see it.

Was somewhat interesting to read the thread again. AK's contribution was sound.

....and of course on a topic which rears its head every year, but ultimately where the limit on available competent resources means that the removal of all ACMs in buildings in the UK whether public (usually the focus of the demands) or private any time soon is utopian thinking.

+ if such a policy were to come into place, the few deployed to put it into effect would be exposed to high levels of exposure for a few years, with limited, if any, nett public benefit.

Roundtuit  
#20 Posted : 05 December 2023 13:12:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

OK how did Roche get Post 15 on to the forum (curious as it was showng as the last reply in the thread)?

Roundtuit  
#21 Posted : 05 December 2023 13:12:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

OK how did Roche get Post 15 on to the forum (curious as it was showng as the last reply in the thread)?

peter gotch  
#22 Posted : 05 December 2023 14:53:49(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Roundtuit

I think that is the Forums playing tricks again!