Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark-W  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2018 08:00:12(UTC)
Mark-W

I work for a charity and we have social enterprise activities that we undertake. 1 of those activities is a bycyle workshop. It is located within a prison. I've visited it a couple of times but try not to. It's a really depressing place, but thats by the by.

I think that as we are a seperate company to the Prison service we should display a H&S poster within our workshop. It is within a locked compound within the prison.

The prison say that we shouldn't display as they have. But on the 2 visits I've made I haven't seen the poster. I've asked where it is and just told it's displayed in apublic area.

Should I insist or just let the prison machine roll on doing it's thing and not rock the boat?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2018 08:31:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

For me it would be the Prison Staff who are at their place of employment to whom any H&S law poster would be directed not the inmates being rehabilitated by your enterprise.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC), Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2018 08:31:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

For me it would be the Prison Staff who are at their place of employment to whom any H&S law poster would be directed not the inmates being rehabilitated by your enterprise.

Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC), Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:06:54(UTC)
Mark-W

I see your point but the inmates are earning money, albeit not a lot, they receive a certificaste in bycycle repair and we have paid staff onsite.

So in my mind we are a seperate company to the prison service. Inside the compound we operate from there is also anoter company that has inmates working for them, but they are never in when I visit so can't be sure of their set up

chas  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:28:34(UTC)
chas

No need for a poster. Why not just give them a HSE pocket card together with any other H&S related information you may provide for them?  

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/lawpocketcard.htm

thanks 1 user thanked chas for this useful post.
Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:35:23(UTC)
Mark-W

Think this is the sensible route, issue with pocket card and go from there.

Thanks to all for advice

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:45:25(UTC)
Hsquared14

Prison Industries normally display the poster in their workshops but without visiting the prison in question I wouldn't know if this was in an appropriate location. 

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC)
hilary  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2018 11:42:50(UTC)
hilary

It's not such a big deal just to stick a poster up in the workshop, that way you're covered whatever happens.  If you issue everyone a copy or card then you either have to have them sign for it or rely on their honesty to confirm you gave it to them. I suspect relying on honesty may not be the best idea, not that I am casting aspersions but it is a prison after all .....

Mark-W  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2018 13:07:50(UTC)
Mark-W

Hilary

Thats the issue, the prison service or their safety rep have said that we can't display a poster in their workshop. The rep isn't the most pro active person I've ever come across and will always pass the buck and try to not make a decision.

As we are guests in their worksop I have to be very diplomatic.

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2018 13:33:35(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Who is the poster aimed at? If it is your staff then just them issue with a leaflet/card.  To be honest the poster is not a big deal anymore as there are other (and better) ways of explaining to staff what their duties are and what responsibilities employers have for them. I can’t imagine, in this day and age,  the HSE going to the trouble of prosecuting or even mentioning the fact that a poster might not be visible to staff.  They might ask how you communicate with staff but that does not have to be a poster.

It is not worth the hassle of offending your “hosts” for this issue.

PS Are they worried that the poster might be concealing something as in the Shawshank Redemption?   

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Mark-W on 09/08/2018(UTC), Dave5705 on 08/01/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#11 Posted : 09 August 2018 13:37:05(UTC)
Mark-W

I doubt it. Building is an isolated building, if the broke through the wall they'd still be in the compound. But I like your thinking.

JamesMc85  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2019 17:18:41(UTC)
JamesMc85

I have a situation where, new to H&S, I will need to place 20+ posters across a number of sites. I am pre-empting the question on whether it can be provided for free - is there anywhere the poster can be downloaded and printed in-house?

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2019 20:17:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/lawposter-a2.htm

Posters cost - the same information can be downloaded and printed as a leaflet

Choice is yours buy 20+ posters or print sufficient leaflets for each employee

JamesMc85 on 09/01/2019(UTC), JamesMc85 on 09/01/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 08 January 2019 20:17:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/lawposter-a2.htm

Posters cost - the same information can be downloaded and printed as a leaflet

Choice is yours buy 20+ posters or print sufficient leaflets for each employee

JamesMc85 on 09/01/2019(UTC), JamesMc85 on 09/01/2019(UTC)