Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A.Sawyer  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2019 21:51:06(UTC)
A.Sawyer

Hello all,

I recently left the public sector, and with only GCSEs to my name, I've decided I need to take my first steps into Higher Education. Fortunately my background involved a great deal of justication of decisions, risk assessments and stated cases, so a lot of the concepts I'm sure to explore aren't entirely alien to me.

I'm looking at the NCRQ diploma as my starting point, but I have concerns over how widely recognised it is as a qualification, against the more established NEBOSH.

Additionally, I've read that a NEBOSH diploma perhaps isn't the place to start, and the certificate is more suited to a new starter, is this truly the case?

Thanks for reading.

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2019 06:09:55(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: A.Sawyer Go to Quoted Post

Hello all,

I recently left the public sector, and with only GCSEs to my name, I've decided I need to take my first steps into Higher Education. Fortunately my background involved a great deal of justication of decisions, risk assessments and stated cases, so a lot of the concepts I'm sure to explore aren't entirely alien to me.

I'm looking at the NCRQ diploma as my starting point, but I have concerns over how widely recognised it is as a qualification, against the more established NEBOSH.

Additionally, I've read that a NEBOSH diploma perhaps isn't the place to start, and the certificate is more suited to a new starter, is this truly the case?

Thanks for reading.

NCRQ is a great course, studied it myself, had many interviews because of it, with potential employers asking about it and have been impressed by how it is designed and teaches people. I was even accepted onto the NEBOSH MSc Course from holding an NCRQ Diploma.

I have done many NEBOSH courses & exams, but I preferred the NCRQ method of learning. Others prefer the NEBOSH way.

You need to decide if would you rather study case studies and write assignments or read books and sit exams.

Regards

George

A.Sawyer  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2019 08:30:19(UTC)
A.Sawyer

Excellent, thanks for that, I definitely think NCRQ is the way forward for me. I much prefer to study real life cases and pick the bones out of them. Cheers
Swygart25604  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2019 08:55:15(UTC)
Swygart25604

Would you not have to study a Level 3 qualification first?

I see you don't want to do the NEBOSH Diploma, but to get to study that, you'd have to pass the Certificate.

MrBrightside  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2019 09:27:28(UTC)
MrBrightside

The NCRQ Diploma for course consists of 2 Level 3 certs and part 3 gives you the Level 6 Diploma.

George_Young  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2019 06:58:54(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: MrBrightside Go to Quoted Post
The NCRQ Diploma for course consists of 2 Level 3 certs and part 3 gives you the Level 6 Diploma.
You are mistaking NCRQ certificates are level 6, all 3 must be completed for the diploma
George_Young  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2019 07:02:29(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: Swygart25604 Go to Quoted Post
Would you not have to study a Level 3 qualification first? I see you don't want to do the NEBOSH Diploma, but to get to study that, you'd have to pass the Certificate.
Studying NCRQ you have to complete their level 6 certificates before completing the diploma.
stevedm  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2019 06:42:37(UTC)
stevedm

Just a little comments from me...I would look at doing a level 3 qualification first you can then get a role that will help fund and give you the experience and opportunities for future learning...then as you progress in a role you may find an employer will fund all or part of your continuing development...